Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question/advise single shot

Henry's new single shots
msnden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Question/advise single shot

Post by msnden » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi, new to the forum, my son purchased a nice Henry in 308 for Hunting in Maine, so it got me thinking, I am a senior who spent all my younger years hunting in WI. & MN. I now spend most of my time in the desert of So. CA. leaving most of my guns with another son in MN. I have taken up rimfire and really enjoying it. Checking out Henry I discovered their single shot rifles, here in the desert I encounter coyotes on the property at quite an alarming rate. I don't want to spend a fortune as I plan to spend my time at the range as my hunting days are over. However I would like to thin out some of these coyotes & a single shot .243 imop would be a good way to start. Question? reading the forum I have found some rather serious problems with the single shot rifle, Have these problems been solved? should I look elsewhere? I really like the looks of the Henry & like the Henry reputation, Keep in mind I am not a gun smith nor do I want to be, also I really do not like the idea of sending a rifle back (Remember I am in CA, not a gun friendly state) In all the guns I have purchased I have never had to send one back. Any and all advise will be appreciated. Thanks msn
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Question/advise single shot

Post by Mistered » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:59 pm

Welcome to the forum from Wickiup Junction, Oregon.
Well, you are picking the right caliber for the job - one of my favs - the .243 Win.
However with regard to the Henry single shot I too like the looks of them as well but do not have any direct experience with them (I own a BBB .357) but I firmly stress the need to perform a fairly intensive pre-purchase inspection on ANY brand of gun before buying.
Fit and finish of all metal and wood parts, a bore light down the barrel and a patch run down it if necessary to ensure the bore is good with no rifling issues. A function check with a snap cap is advisable also.
Then when you are satisfied with the construction do a little 'handling' of it - shoulder it a few times to check drop and length of pull for you.
This all may take a half hour or more but I would rather find any potential problems at the LGS instead of after taking it home.
If the LGS does NOT allow any of this I would say 'no thanks' and find one that does.
I probably spent 45 min on my BBB when I bought it a few years ago and more recently probably a half hour on my Ruger PCC . The PCC is considerably simpler and less 'ornate' than the BBB but it still got a pretty good look over. The nice thing about the Ruger was it's take down feature allowed me to hold the barrel up to look down it - and one of the best I have ever seen!
Last edited by Mistered on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:03 pm

msnden wrote:Hi, new to the forum... I would like to thin out some of these coyotes & a single shot .243 imop would be a good way to start.
Welcome to the forum from CT. Mistered gave you some very good advice and choosing a Henry is smart for a lot of reasons. I'm sure you'll get other comments, as well. Keep us posted and good luck with the coyotes.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon.
msnden wrote:Hi, new to the forum...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:45 pm

Can't over emphasize what Mistered says about giving any new gun a thorough inspection before buying and if a gun shop balks about giving a gun such an inspection, go elsewhere. I would also add being allowed to test the trigger before buying, all the more so if you're not inclined to do any work on a gun after you buy it. Doesn't have to be a match grade trigger for the work you describe, but a 6 pound trigger pull with creep is going to greatly lessen not only the shoot-ability of the gun, but also your enjoyment of it.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:05 pm

I would also add being allowed to test the trigger before buying,
Yep - without a doubt! Trigger pull can make or break the 'shootabililty' of the gun and you only have yourself to decide if its OK as is or you are willing to do/have some work on it to get it to a a satisfactory level however considering this particular gun, caliber and use a very good trigger will be essential.
I can honestly say the trigger on my BBB was EXCELLENT when I looked at it and has only gotten better. A little creep but that will be resolved on the next tear down and clean.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum MSNDEN. I'm not sure of the problems you are talking about but I can tell you this. I do have one in a 357 and it does have a heavier than I like hammer pull. Its not something that is a deal breaker for me but then again I am not you (obviously). The trigger pull is a little heavier than normal and there again what I will tolerate someone else wont. If these are the problems you are concerned about I can tell you that Henry due to legal reasons isn't going to do anything for you in this case. The gun is designed (right or wrong) to pass a drop test with the hammer in the cocked position. The trigger pull is heavier than the lever guns I have but it does break clean. There is a simple spring change that can be made to help the hammer pull but that's something you would need to do on your own. I realize you mentioned you are not a gunsmith and don't want to be. Neither am I nor do I want to be. But this is really easy thing to do. I have some springs on order and will be doing mine. Should you end up with one I would be happy to walk you through it. The advice you have currently been given is great and if you have the availability to go to the local gun store and handle one by all means do it.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:51 pm

I have a little direct experience with the Henry single shots. I have a .243 and a 45-70, and a "new model" .308 briefly passed through my hands, on its way to my son in law. Fine fit, finish and really nice Walnut are present on all 3. The triggers on the .243 and 45-70 are in the 4 to 4.5 lb weight of pull range, while the trigger on the .308 is close to the weight of the rifle, a bit under 7 lbs, but my son-in-law thinks its OK. I've heard around here there's a pretty easy fix to that (see BigAL's post), but I haven't needed it. The .243 has shot only about a dozen rounds, sighting it in, but it shot a 3 shot group of less than 1 inch with 100 grain Nosler Partitions to end the session. I haven't tried any 80 grain or lighter Coyote loads yet, but they should shoot, too. If you really want to impress the Coyotes, consider a 45-70, that shoots really well, too ;) .
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Yeah, the 45-70 impresses everything it encounters :D I like the 243 for all around work. If they ever bring it out in 270, sold!
Welcome from Nebraska.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 am

I have read on another forum that Henry Repeating Arms (I believe it was Anthony Imperato himself) said that they are working on a fix for the heavy hammer/trigger pull. On that same forum someone showed how to do an easy fix by replacing a spring. This fix did not take gunsmithing skills, just a long 5/16" allen wrench. I do not remember which forum as I was searching for the same thing you are asking and it was not one that I regularly frequent. I saw and handled a single shot in .44. I like it quite a bit. Hammer pull was quite heavy. Trigger pull was not too bad, but heavier than I would prefer especially for a single shot. If I were to buy one, I would either pick that one up since the trigger was not too bad or wait to see what Henry improves them.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All