Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question/advise single shot

Henry's new single shots
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Question/advise single shot

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am

DAVIDF wrote:I have read on another forum that Henry Repeating Arms (I believe it was Anthony Imperato himself) said that they are working on a fix for the heavy hammer/trigger pull. On that same forum someone showed how to do an easy fix by replacing a spring. This fix did not take gunsmithing skills, just a long 5/16" allen wrench. I do not remember which forum as I was searching for the same thing you are asking and it was not one that I regularly frequent. I saw and handled a single shot in .44. I like it quite a bit. Hammer pull was quite heavy. Trigger pull was not too bad, but heavier than I would prefer especially for a single shot. If I were to buy one, I would either pick that one up since the trigger was not too bad or wait to see what Henry improves them.
The challenge in what you're describing is the "needle in the haystack" of finding a rifle, in the caliber you want, in your area, than you know has been "fixed" in a running change at the Henry factory, not to mention that no one really knows what "working on a fix" means our what the the outcome will be. As noted above, Henry will still want its rifles to pass the drop test, so how low can the trigger pull get? Hard to say.

My advice is to put BigAl in your pocket and let him help you tweak that .44. Al is very generous with his time and knowledge, and it sounds like he's about to do exactly what you'd want to do on the .44. Not trying to be an enabler, just trying to be realistic when it comes to trying to find the holy grail.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 am

as noted, for liability reasons the gun is designed to pass a drop test with the hammer in the cocked position .... as also has been noted, some owners have come up with an after market fix .... if there is a way to rework the hammer and trigger, Henry will find it .... I well remember the early 45-70's had a design problem with the outer magazine tube .... Henry not only came up with a design change but they recalled and modified all that were returned to them .... the trigger pulls on our BBS 44 Mag and CCH 45-70 weren't bad but I wasn't content and had a gunsmith refine them .... for me, they have become a perfect fit .... I have a long history of personalizing my firearms so for me purchasing them and having the triggers refined is nothing new and isn't a big deal .... if I was in the market for a single shot and didn't like the trigger/hammer pulls, I wouldn't hesitate to go the same route
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:36 pm

I wondered, when first hearing about Henry's introduction of a single shot rifle, about how they'd address the hammer/trigger mechanism. The lever actions have a transfer bar, and I speculated they might do that. A Savage Favorite.22 single shot I bought new in 1978 has that device. Instead, they went with a rebounding hammer, and now may have cranked up the spring tension on the hammer/trigger mechanism. I get it, I guess, but can't imagine a scenario when I would drop a cocked rifle. I don't plan to drop either of mine (with a snap cap), just to see what would happen ;) . Maybe another model revision to a transfer bar is in the future, we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I intend to order a 30-30, and I'll call on Big Al if I don't like the trigger :) .
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:23 pm

.30-30, good choice ;) I like .30-30 with brass :!:
Yornoc3 wrote:I wondered, when first hearing about Henry's introduction of a single shot rifle, about how they'd address the hammer/trigger mechanism. The lever actions have a transfer bar, and I speculated they might do that. A Savage Favorite.22 single shot I bought new in 1978 has that device. Instead, they went with a rebounding hammer, and now may have cranked up the spring tension on the hammer/trigger mechanism. I get it, I guess, but can't imagine a scenario when I would drop a cocked rifle. I don't plan to drop either of mine (with a snap cap), just to see what would happen ;) . Maybe another model revision to a transfer bar is in the future, we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I intend to order a 30-30, and I'll call on Big Al if I don't like the trigger :) .
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Yes, I like the notion of a 30-30 single shot, too. Had Henry offered the 30-30 right out of the gate, though, I probably wouldn't have got a 45-70, when they first came out. Think of what I would have missed! ;) . Anyway, no regrets on that, but I need that 30-30 to replace the H&R Topper 30-30 I started deer hunting with, 55 years ago :shock: . I shot my first buck, and a couple of antlerless (party tag, in those days) deer with it. Believe me, the Henry will be an order of magnitude nicer, and I'm really interested in seeing how Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain FTX rounds shoot. They'll be nipping at the heels of a 300 Savage, I think. And I don't need one of those newfangled .308's anyway :) .
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:48 am

Update Grainger has shipped my springs. I should have them Tuesday. I will be back with updates on the spring change next week.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:07 pm

ESquared wrote:
DAVIDF wrote:I have read on another forum that Henry Repeating Arms (I believe it was Anthony Imperato himself) said that they are working on a fix for the heavy hammer/trigger pull. On that same forum someone showed how to do an easy fix by replacing a spring. This fix did not take gunsmithing skills, just a long 5/16" allen wrench. I do not remember which forum as I was searching for the same thing you are asking and it was not one that I regularly frequent. I saw and handled a single shot in .44. I like it quite a bit. Hammer pull was quite heavy. Trigger pull was not too bad, but heavier than I would prefer especially for a single shot. If I were to buy one, I would either pick that one up since the trigger was not too bad or wait to see what Henry improves them.
The challenge in what you're describing is the "needle in the haystack" of finding a rifle, in the caliber you want, in your area, than you know has been "fixed" in a running change at the Henry factory, not to mention that no one really knows what "working on a fix" means our what the the outcome will be. As noted above, Henry will still want its rifles to pass the drop test, so how low can the trigger pull get? Hard to say.

My advice is to put BigAl in your pocket and let him help you tweak that .44. Al is very generous with his time and knowledge, and it sounds like he's about to do exactly what you'd want to do on the .44. Not trying to be an enabler, just trying to be realistic when it comes to trying to find the holy grail.

Yes, the tutorial I watched from the other forum demonstrates how easy the spring replacement is. I wouldn't hesitate to do that at all. As easy as replacing an AR trigger, which I am about to do with a nice Geissele SSA-E. But, once I install that trigger, I am not sure if I am going to want anything without a fantastic two stage or a set trigger. I'll see once I use it a bit. In the meantime, I will be holding off with any rifle purchases until that trigger gets some use.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

robert6588
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by robert6588 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Well, rest assured that Henry Repeating Arms will not leave you hanging if you should encounter a problem or issue. I noticed a super small hairline crack in my 45 Colt, Big Boy Classic after I got it home and HRA sent me a replacement butt-stock immediately.
1 x