Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New HO15-44 and a question

Henry's new single shots
robert1408
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New HO15-44 and a question

Post by robert1408 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Picked up a new HO15-44 from Buds' today. It was in perfect condition with fine fit and finish. I grabbed up some odd 44 magnum and 44 special reloads I had handy and went to the range. Open sights are a challenge for me but I managed ten 44 specials a 1 1/4" group and five 240gr magnum loads in a 1 1/2" group, both at 25 yards. I expect a red dot or a scope will improve things. I'm satisfied this rifle works well and is plenty accurate enough to make loading for it a fun project.

Recoil with full magnum loads was not bad at all. The guy in the lane next to me commented on how quiet it was for a 44 magnum. I noticed it also. I think most of the noise from a magnum revolver comes from the residual gas pressure as the bullet leaves the barrel, easily still at 3,000+ psi. The long tube of a rifle has to drop that pressure way down. Light 44 spc loads were really quiet. The trigger is a heavy pull, but it's so crisp that it's not really a problem. My Henry BBS 357 carbine has a similar trigger and it's not a problem either. I fired some lead bullets to see about leading and there was none. I inspected the barrel with a Lyman borescope and it's very smooth with a clean leade.

I have the Henry pic rail and hammer extender to install. I'll need to remove the rear sight for the rail. Does anybody know which direction to drift the sight out?
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: New HO15-44 and a question

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:31 am

Robert --- There are quite a few discussions about removing/installing Henry iron sights. Most threads are posted under the "Sights and Scopes" forum. Here is one of the early-on discussions.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=589

Answer to your Q: drift the sight out from left to right as your looking toward the muzzle.
robert1408 wrote:I have the Henry pic rail and hammer extender to install. I'll need to remove the rear sight for the rail. Does anybody know which direction to drift the sight out?
0 x

~Пока~

robert1408
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by robert1408 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I drifted the rear sight out and put the Henry rail on. Found a cheap 1-5X scope on and headed to the range. Tried some plated, cast and jacketed loads. A 240 XTP over 9.5 BE86 was highly accurate as was a Missouri 240 TCFP over 5.7 Red Dot. Plated bullets, and lighter 180-215's were not as good. At the 25 yard limited range the vertical POI hardly changed with the different loads. I want to get this rifle properly rested at an outdoor range for some 50 and 100 yard fun.

I think this rifle favors larger diameter/heavier bullets. Some .429" jacketed loads were poor. Apparently the SAAMI bore specs for 44 Mag rifle are slightly larger than a revolvers'. I don't cast so will look into finding some .431-432 cast and some .431 jacketed to try. It only took a little shooting to get used to a single shot. Having the brass extracted rather than ejected is handy. I really like its the simplicity and ease of cleaning.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Interesting results. Pictures are always good and welcome.
robert1408 wrote:I drifted the rear sight out and put the Henry rail on. Found a cheap 1-5X scope on and headed to the range. Tried some plated, cast and jacketed loads. A 240 XTP over 9.5 BE86 was highly accurate as was a Missouri 240 TCFP over 5.7 Red Dot. Plated bullets, and lighter 180-215's were not as good. At the 25 yard limited range the vertical POI hardly changed with the different loads. I want to get this rifle properly rested at an outdoor range for some 50 and 100 yard fun.

I think this rifle favors larger diameter/heavier bullets. Some .429" jacketed loads were poor. Apparently the SAAMI bore specs for 44 Mag rifle are slightly larger than a revolvers'. I don't cast so will look into finding some .431-432 cast and some .431 jacketed to try. It only took a little shooting to get used to a single shot. Having the brass extracted rather than ejected is handy. I really like its the simplicity and ease of cleaning.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234