Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single shot Red dot.

Henry's new single shots
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Single shot Red dot.

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:41 pm

I found this Vortex red dot on scale at Brownells. I like it because it had several different mounts with it allowing you to adjust the height of the scope for many applications. Its a nice unit a little more money than the some of the others but I like the features of it.
IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG (148.13 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Single shot Red dot.

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:37 pm

interesting Red Dot .... at what ranges do you feel they are effective :?:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 am

For me Im pretty confident in them as a 50 yard plinker sight on a rifle. I have a dot on a Mark IV 22/45 Ruger that I shoot 25 yards with all the time. That being said Im not the shot RR is at all but the sights that are on the Single shots are just not that good. Im not sure this red dot will stay on the Single shot I might go to a scope. Id like to find a compact scope of some kind that would work. Ive looked at shotgun scopes and the bug buster scopes. I would like to find a place local that has them in stock so I could look at one before I buy it.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 am

What size MOA dot does the Vortex have? I use mostly 3MA and 4 MOA dots and I find them to be very useful all the way out to 100 yards, even for some target work. At 100 yards, instead of covering the bull with the dot, I use the top of the dot as the aiming point. Works well as long as you have a quality red dot with a sharp dot.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:17 am

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Sp ... ex+sparc+2

NCG its a 2MOA dot. I paid 129.00 for mine as Brownells had them on sale and a discount to boot on top of it. But the dot is really bright on its highest setting. Like I mentioned I like it because of the mounting system it comes with.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:22 pm

the only red dot sight I have is an AimPoint on our Ruger Redhawk .... as time passes, the distance I am able to shoot grows shorter and shorter .... I have no doubt that the cause doesn't have anything to do with the sight or the revolver .... rather age and arthritic hands are taking their toll
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:44 pm

BigAl52 wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Sp ... ex+sparc+2

NCG its a 2MOA dot. I paid 129.00 for mine as Brownells had them on sale and a discount to boot on top of it. But the dot is really bright on its highest setting. Like I mentioned I like it because of the mounting system it comes with.
BigAl, 2 MOA is definitely a target size dot and that should do very well for 100 yard work, though other factors start to come into play for using red dots at 100 yards. One of these is screen clarity. Some red dots have heavily tinted screens for the sake of red dot visibility, typically inexpensive red dots, but that tinting works against you when trying to see the target at 100 yards. No idea what that Vortex has for screen clarity, though.

I'm kind of with JEBar, now, though, at least once those targets start pushing 100 yards. Really need the clarity of a good scope much beyond 50 yards, these days. Doesn't need to be much for magnification, though. Even 2x helps these old eyes, now. I really should just buy a truckload of low power 1.5x-5x scopes. :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:21 pm

North Country Gal wrote:What size MOA dot does the Vortex have? I use mostly 3MA and 4 MOA dots and I find them to be very useful all the way out to 100 yards, even for some target work. At 100 yards, instead of covering the bull with the dot, I use the top of the dot as the aiming point. Works well as long as you have a quality red dot with a sharp dot.
Do you make adjustments on the Red Dot going to the six o’clock?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:What size MOA dot does the Vortex have? I use mostly 3MA and 4 MOA dots and I find them to be very useful all the way out to 100 yards, even for some target work. At 100 yards, instead of covering the bull with the dot, I use the top of the dot as the aiming point. Works well as long as you have a quality red dot with a sharp dot.
Do you make adjustments on the Red Dot going to the six o’clock?

At that distance, yes. I use a six o'clock hold with the top of the red dot functioning like a front sight in a six o'clock sight picture. I still love using iron sights at 100 yards, but my eyes fatigue, quickly, now, so a shooting session with irons is typically a short one. The red dots help somewhat, but do nothing to improve target visibility at 100 yards on the 6" bullseyes I typically use with iron sights. I'm now at a point where iron sight sessions at 100 yards are few and far between. More or less do it as a stunt, now.

A 6" bullseye is a large bullseye at 50 yards and the size I use for 50 yard shooting with my handguns, but it is NOT a large bullseye for me at 100 yards. I have to have good lighting and fresh eyes to use that size at 100 for irons. An 8" is better and I sometimes use that size, instead.

By contrast, even a low power scope at 4x lets me use 3" targets at 100 yards and 6x or 7x is enough to let me use my 1" target dots at 100. More importantly, with a scope, eye fatigue becomes a non-factor as long as I am using a quality scope. Scopes with mediocre optical quality just annoy me. I no longer waste money on them. I'll take a low power scope with great optics to a high mag scope with mediocre optics, every time.
1 x

Brother_Love
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Brother_Love » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 pm

What kind of mount did you use? Thank you.
0 x