Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single shot Red dot.

Henry's new single shots
DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Single shot Red dot.

Post by DAVIDF » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:21 pm

JEBar wrote:interesting Red Dot .... at what ranges do you feel they are effective :?:
With a 2moa red dot, I find it easy using them out to 210 yards. As long as it is a good quality red dot. My Aimpoint Pro works much better for me at that distance than my Trijicon MRO. Using the Aimpoint on one of my AR's it is easy to keep all the hits well within my 8" steel plate. Take into consideration that I am not a skilled bench rest competitor by any means. And, that takes calmer winds than RR deals with :D I haven't tried North Country Gal's method. I'll try that next time I am at the 100 or 200 yard range. That should make it easier to hit clay pidgeons as long as I adjust the sights for that method.

210 yards is the longest I've used red dots. I can shoot out to as far as 300 yards on that range. However, the lighting is extremely poor. Targets are heavily shaded and extremely difficult to see. I find it rather difficult to see the permanently mounted steel plate at 300 yards even with my variable 1.5-4 power scope.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Hunter2678
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hunter2678 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:51 pm

BigAl52 wrote:For me Im pretty confident in them as a 50 yard plinker sight on a rifle. I have a dot on a Mark IV 22/45 Ruger that I shoot 25 yards with all the time. That being said Im not the shot RR is at all but the sights that are on the Single shots are just not that good. Im not sure this red dot will stay on the Single shot I might go to a scope. Id like to find a compact scope of some kind that would work. Ive looked at shotgun scopes and the bug buster scopes. I would like to find a place local that has them in stock so I could look at one before I buy it.
Ive been considering putting one of my RDS on my LG as well but after kicking it around a good bit I decided on a low power fixed optic instead. I have a few low magnification fixed scopes laying around. I have a fetish for them you could say, weaver 4x and 6x and leupys in 2.5x and 6x with a unloved simmons 4x32 shotgun scope as well...after alot of back and forth I settled on my leupy 2.5x20 ultralight for my henry 45-70. I like it bc its very light, compact & has 5" of eye relief which I have found is absolutely necessary for me on rifles with alot of drop at the heel. To be honest its the best looking scope out of the bunch on this henry IMO. Just looks right.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:19 pm

DAVIDF wrote:I can shoot out to as far as 300 yards on that range.
tip of my cap to you .... I find that to be remarkable .... I have a good Aimpoint which I find I can't do much with at a hundred
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:58 pm

JEBar wrote:
DAVIDF wrote:I can shoot out to as far as 300 yards on that range.
tip of my cap to you .... I find that to be remarkable .... I have a good Aimpoint which I find I can't do much with at a hundred
Thanks for the compliment, but when I compare my shooting to a friends who took my 9mm AR and proceeded to shoot a 2" group with it at 210 yards, I realize I need to work on basics.

As much as I love non-magnified red dots, I have really grown to love my Leupold VX R 1.25-4 variable with a red dot. It is actually about 1.5 power at the lowest setting. But, I still find that I can shoot it almost as fast close up on steel plates as with a non-magnified red dot and of course better at 210 yards off a bench than with my non-magnified red dots. I would like to have a good 1-8 variable with a true 1 power, but I am not spending the money on those. I am sure that once using one of them I would want them on several different rifles :D
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:18 pm

DAVIDF wrote:As much as I love non-magnified red dots, I have really grown to love my Leupold VX R 1.25-4 variable with a red dot. It is actually about 1.5 power at the lowest setting. But, I still find that I can shoot it almost as fast close up on steel plates as with a non-magnified red dot and of course better at 210 yards off a bench than with my non-magnified red dots. I would like to have a good 1-8 variable with a true 1 power, but I am not spending the money on those. I am sure that once using one of them I would want them on several different rifles :D

that is most certainly an interesting sounding scope .... info appreciated
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:01 pm

I decided to put the red dot back on the single shot after now discovering some loads that I want to shoot with the scope I had on the 357. So tonight I went downstairs and gave a try with my Dremel and a cutoff wheel to modify the scope mount that is on my Henry. I wanted to get rid of that front end that doesn't touch the barrel at all. I was able to cutoff the front end square with a little luck and I think it came out nice. I also happened to have a can of paint to match the mount. A few minutes with the dremel and some 325 grit followed by some 600 grit emery paper and it was done. Put the red dot back on it and bore sighted it. Now ready for the range again.
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG (153.5 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
No pink towel for photos but I hear its on its way.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:31 am

That modification looks really good, and there's still plenty of base left to mount most compact dimension conventional scopes. I've wondered why such long rails were provided for the single shots. It's mostly why (along with its being blued steel) I've stuck to the Warne base, and even that one is is a little longer than it needs to be.
0 x