45-70 brass vs steel

Henry's new single shots
Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

45-70 brass vs steel

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:26 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if any one has one of the single shots 45-70 in brass. I seem to only find the steel version online for sale and in reviews but never a brass version. Can anyone comment on the feel of the rifle in comparison to the steel? Does it feel heavier? How about how it points with the straight stock? Thanks for any comments you can provide.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: 45-70 brass vs steel

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:06 am

Can't help on that specific rifle, but from experience shooting other 45-70s, I would have two concerns with the brass version and both relate to handling recoil.

First, that brass buttplate on the brass version will be noticeably harder on the shoulder than the steel version with its recoil pad. I promise you that. On any 45-70 I've shot, lever gun or single shot, I've had to add a slip on recoil pad on any gun with a hard buttplate. The crescent butt plates were the worst. Okay for shooting trapdoor loads or cowboy loads, but pretty miserable when you step up to hunting loads. A recoil pad is your friend when shooting a 45-70.

Second, I've always done better with a pistol grip stock than a straight grip stock for handling recoil. That straight grip looks cool and very traditional, but doesn't give you much to grab when that rifle comes flying back against your shoulder.

To be sure, this is my personal experience with shooting a 45-70. Others might have different experiences. For me, though, it would be an easy choice picking the steel version.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:30 am

North Country Gal wrote:Can't help on that specific rifle, but from experience shooting other 45-70s, I would have two concerns with the brass version and both relate to handling recoil.

Second, I've always done better with a pistol grip stock than a straight grip stock for handling recoil. That straight grip looks cool and very traditional, but doesn't give you much to grab when that rifle comes flying back against your shoulder.

BINGO .... completely agree on both points
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:53 am

I might also add in case OP is interested there is a Youtube video or 2 on the 45-70 single shot. I believe the video is the steel version. just in case you would like to see one in action. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Count me in on what they said! I didn't consider for one second buying the Brass frame 45-70, it weighs only a few ounces more, nowhere near enough additional weight to moderate recoil, and the brass buttplate will assure that you feel all of it. I do like straight stocks, because I shoot SxS bird guns with them, but the Henry single shot blued version has an open enough grip to feel really good to me, too. Both models of the single shot in 45-70 are on the light side for that cartridge, so, as NCG said, the recoil pad is your friend.
1 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:23 am

These are all very good points. Would it be so bad if I reload some trapdoor rounds out of it? I figured the old cavalry shot them out of the carbines so maybe I can do the same but now I might change my mind and get the lever action.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:32 am

Yes, I think trapdoor level rounds in the 1350 fps range would be tolerable out of the brass version and some factory loads, like the Remington 405 grain load at 1330 fps can even be used for hunting at short range. That's what I shoot in my much, much lighter 45-70 Contender carbine. Then, too, adding a slip on recoil pad is always an option. For me, personally, it's when 45-70 loads hit the 1600 fps range, regardless of bullet weight, that 45-70 recoil becomes too much for me and stops being fun to shoot.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:53 am

Another thought about mitigating recoil: wear a PAST type strap on pad. I always do, when sighting in/checking scopes, etc., especially if it's several rifles at a time, partly to take the risk of flinching out of the equation. And you can always wear it under your jacket, but I don't care if someone sees my "sissy pad" ;). They do work; I put 'em right up there with ear protection for removing variables when trying to see just how well a rifle will shoot.
1 x