Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wonder when

Henry's new single shots
Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Wonder when

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:26 am

I wonder when Henry will make their single shots in color case hardened steel with octagonal barrels. I’m still holding out to buy one because I really want one with these features. Has anyone asked? I filled out a request form at their website. We’ll see what happens. What do you all think?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Wonder when

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:05 am

I don't know how much of a production change it would take to offer an octagonal barrel option but a CCH finish shouldn't be a big deal .... in thinking about it, one of the attractions of the single shot line is price .... the CCH process is expensive .... I don't know how that will weigh into the equation
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:11 am

JEBar wrote:I don't know how much of a production change it would take to offer an octagonal barrel option but a CCH finish shouldn't be a big deal .... in thinking about it, one of the attractions of the single shot line is price .... the CCH process is expensive .... I don't know how that will weigh into the equation
I think you're on the right path in terms of pricing strategy. The single-shot line features short(er) 22" barrels and few frills. Henry offers an "upgrade version" in the brass variant. Prices on the web are in the $350-$400 range. It's the perfect entry-level centerfire product for Henry.

CCH and/or octagonal barrels add cost and/or weight, either of which run counter to the appeal of what Henry calls "good quality and basic function." Adding 100 bucks to the selling price would knock this out of many purchasers' consideration set.

CCH seems to be positioned as the upgrade to Big Boy Steel line, as it not only spiffs up the receiver, but adds the Octagon barrel as well.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:25 am

the CCH process is expensive
Yes it is - And time consuming as well providing they are accomplishing it with the traditional process and not by 'chemical' methods.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:42 am

I think it's a bit early in the game for Henry to offer CCH, octagonal barrels other costly upgrades on their single shots. Those features may come, later, but only if sales of the current basic models justify it. Of the two, octagonal barrels would be the easiest to offer and the added weight would be beneficial for shooting from a rest as so many shooters like do.

As for CCH, I hope Henry doesn't make the awful mistake of the phony CCH stuff, as mentioned. Track record is terrible on anything but the real thing. For instance, the dye CCH look that Ruger tried, at one point, was a disaster. Turned out to be such a rust magnet that Ruger actually offered a free re-blue job on guns with it at one point. Fortunately, Ruger now has the good sense to go with the real thing on some special edition CCH versions via Turnbull.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:10 pm

For instance, the dye CCH look that Ruger tried, at one point, was a disaster. Turned out to be such a rust magnet that Ruger actually offered a free re-blue job on guns with it at one point.
Unfortunate but true.
I was however reading a while back on an article about CCH and there are new chemical processes similar to bluing that do a pretty good job and are considerably more durable than the earlier ones.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Henry's CCH vendor is the real deal, Tyler Gun Works in TX. This was revealed to me a while back, but on the QT, but now Henry is very open about it in the marketing of their CCH large levers:

https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... loop-lever
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:03 pm

The Single Shot line appears to still be expanding, who knows how far they'll take it. While I can't guess when they might consider it, an octagonal barrel, also a half round, half octagon, would be in keeping with traditional single shot style. Maybe some engraving, too, like the new Long Rangers :) . I think there'd be some interest in some fancy versions, since we single shot fanciers aren't always looking for cheap and practical ;) .
0 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:21 am

Yeah I see the point of keeping the prices low but I would also like to see a single shot with some classic lines. I think Henry can accomplish this without raising the prices too much. Maybe skip the cch but add the octagonal barrel and a straight stock. That wouldn’t add too much to the price I don’t think. Maybe?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 am

I think a good illustration of the cost involved in the CCH production, can be seen in the fact that a CCH Large Loop Lever for our 45-70 sells for $34.95 more than the same lever with a standard black finish ....
Attachments
181119 001 CCH lever 001.jpg
181119 001 CCH lever 001.jpg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
0 x