Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H015-243 Problems

Henry's new single shots
FDP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: H015-243 Problems

Post by FDP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:59 pm

You may be on to something there. Temporary fix on the production line.
The stiff opening becoming very loose and rubbing the bluing off the barrel.
I guess I'll find out from Henry. Or not.Supposed to have been delivered to Henry today but I haven't received any confirmation from UPS yet. I hate sending guns back for repair. At one time, not that many years ago. It was rare to hear of anyone sending a gun back, even the low end guns.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:18 pm

At one time, not that many years ago. It was rare to hear of anyone sending a gun back, even the low end guns.
The one and only gun I sent back WAS low end and the frame cracked. Upon receipt of the replacement it was promptly sold.
Yes it was rare to hear of a gun getting sent back not too many years ago. Lots of reasons - better quality control with fewer manufacturers.
Gun manufacturers being of one company as opposed to many being under the auspice of a 'holding company' or other umbrella.
Also back 'in the day' some people were more self reliant and were able to resolve simple issues as opposed to sending it back for something that could be easily fixed with some basic mechanical inclination.
Also the 'market' for firearms has changed dramatically. It used to be firearms were purchased by outdoors people, hunters etc. as opposed to now where I see many people buying guns as a novelty, primarily self defense and other reasons I never used to see before.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:21 pm

I think Mistered has nailed it. If the hole through the receiver is as oversize as it sounds, a lot of "slop" would result. I didn't disassemble my 45-70, but the pin doesn't budge with finger or thumb pressure (maybe I'm not as strong as some of you guys ;) ), and there's virtually no play with the action open. On a Mossberg SSI One I have, the forestock iron rode on the end of the receiver hard enough to rub the blued finish. It was stiff to open or close. I removed the iron, and lightly sanded the wood just enough to relieve the excess tension. If I remember correctly, the H&R/NEF guns had plastic forestock "iron", and didn't bear on the receiver. The Henry single shots' iron doesn't appear to bear on the receiver, either, even though the "iron" really is iron (OK, steel), but does fit really close. If it didn't, that, too, could account for excess play when open, I'll bet.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 pm

but the pin doesn't budge with finger or thumb pressure (maybe I'm not as strong as some of you guys
I see a groove in the pin and that tells me there is ball detent to hold it into place and it might take a little 'bump ' with the hand on a plastic punch to compress the detent spring to release it.
Do you still have the rifle or is it sent back? If you still have it pop the pin and pull the upper out and insert the pin in the hole in the block and see what you have. THEN if it is loose and wobbly you can TELL them (Henry) what you found without having to rely on them to find the problem.
I don't care how 'Homespun' Henry sounds, and how good their customer service is - It all ain't no better than the person doing the repair - and that is where my 'apprehension' begins.....
0 x

FDP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by FDP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Mistered wrote:
but the pin doesn't budge with finger or thumb pressure (maybe I'm not as strong as some of you guys
I see a groove in the pin and that tells me there is ball detent to hold it into place and it might take a little 'bump ' with the hand on a plastic punch to compress the detent spring to release it.
Do you still have the rifle or is it sent back? If you still have it pop the pin and pull the upper out and insert the pin in the hole in the block and see what you have. THEN if it is loose and wobbly you can TELL them (Henry) what you found without having to rely on them to find the problem.
I don't care how 'Homespun' Henry sounds, and how good their customer service is - It all ain't no better than the person doing the repair - and that is where my 'apprehension' begins.....
Already sent back.
0 x

FDP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: H015-243 Problems resolved (sort of)

Post by FDP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:10 am

Henry replaced the problem gun that was sent for repair.I received the new replacement about two weeks ago. The serial number of the new one is about two thousand numbers higher that the old one which was only 3 digits (in the hundreds).
The new guns lockup when closing is completely different. This tells my there was a significant issue with the original gun which probably should not have been sold.
I had forgotten to remove the hammer extension from the one I sent back but Henry caught it and reinstalled the extension on the new one.
It seems the only issue with the new gun is the trigger pull. Although it has a clean break with no felt creep, my trigger pull gauge will max out at 8 + pounds before the trigger breaks.
As of now, the gun is back in the box. Although Henry was very responsive and did a great job in resolving my problems. I won't be returning the gun for the trigger issue. I will either keep the gun and install a Skinner sight and pass it down to the grandson some day or take a loss and trade for another brand.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: H015-243 Problems resolved (sort of)

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks for the update, FDP. You might want to read this post regarding Henry single shot trigger springs. It could be very helpful.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 911#p78911
FDP wrote:Henry replaced the problem gun that was sent for repair.I received the new replacement about two weeks ago. The serial number of the new one is about two thousand numbers higher that the old one which was only 3 digits (in the hundreds).
The new guns lockup when closing is completely different. This tells my there was a significant issue with the original gun which probably should not have been sold.
I had forgotten to remove the hammer extension from the one I sent back but Henry caught it and reinstalled the extension on the new one.
It seems the only issue with the new gun is the trigger pull. Although it has a clean break with no felt creep, my trigger pull gauge will max out at 8 + pounds before the trigger breaks.
As of now, the gun is back in the box. Although Henry was very responsive and did a great job in resolving my problems. I won't be returning the gun for the trigger issue. I will either keep the gun and install a Skinner sight and pass it down to the grandson some day or take a loss and trade for another brand.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:14 pm

FDP ....

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... understood on the heavy trigger pull .... as noted, Al is working on his and it might pay for you to keep up with the thread (link in post above) .... the reason for the heavy trigger pull and cocking can be summed up in one word ... that being liability .... OK, add another word .... that being lawyers .... its reported that the spring tension has to be so high that if a cocked rifle is dropped, there is no way it can accidentally discharge .... on the one hand that's understandable, on the other it can be cumbersome .... historically I've chosen to have a gunsmith work on the triggers of several different firearms .... that is what I did with our Henry 44 and 45-70 .... as a result they are both fine shooters .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total .... I'm looking forward to your reports as you are able to spend time with your rifle

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 568#p78568
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:49 pm

JEbar already mentioned the lawyer aspect. Ive never been involved with a gun company to know what they must go through for liability issues. Henry will not do anything with youre trigger pull. While they may try to smooth it up a little if you send it back it will still not have the 3 to 5 lb pull most people are after. Some of us tolerate a little more than others. In no way am I trying to mitigate the fact that it does have a heavier than normal trigger pull. When I receive the springs I have on order I will change mine out and report back. Its a simple change and reports I am reading are it does improve the trigger and the hammer pull back.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

inspcalahan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by inspcalahan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm

I just picked up a .243 last week. The trigger isn't amazing, but acceptable. Everything else is tight and seems fine. Range trips will tell....Hopefully Henry will take care of yours and it's not an epidemic problem with this one.
0 x