Scope mounting on single shot

Henry's new single shots
daleeman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Scope mounting on single shot

Post by daleeman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Greetings,
My second post. So how can I mount a rail and not remove the rear fold down sight?
And direct mfg links or part numbers would be helpful.

Actually, do I need to mount a rail or are their direct scope mounts that can go on a single shot.

Thanks for your answers.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Scope mounting on single shot

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:16 pm

According to the Henry website, the single shot specs for both your .223 and soon to arrive 45-70 show the receiver drilled and tapped for the Weaver 82 type scope mount. This is the one Henry sells for the single shots: https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 5748582425 Less expensive ones can also be found on Amazon, eBay, Midway, etc. Search for "Weaver 82 scope mount". Given the close hole spacing, I do not think there are rings that directly attach to the receiver that would work. Your scope ring height and size of the scope bell objective will depend on whether or not you fold the leaf sight or have to remove it.
daleeman wrote:Greetings,
My second post. So how can I mount a rail and not remove the rear fold down sight?
And direct mfg links or part numbers would be helpful.

Actually, do I need to mount a rail or are their direct scope mounts that can go on a single shot.

Thanks for your answers.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:13 pm

If it was me doing one Daleeman I would sure give the folks at Talley a call and see if any of there rings and mounts would work. They dont have anything listed at this time for the Single shot but they do some of the other models. It would be worth a call in my opinion.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 pm

A simple question with a kinda tricky answer. The Weaver 82 mount originally made for H&R/NEF rifles, that Henry shows as fitting has only two cross slots, and places the scope too far forward for some of us "shorter" (5' 8", in my case) people. I ordered a Warne 981M mount, also made to fit the H&R/NEF Handi-rifles which has 4 cross slots and is about an inch shorter in overall length, before I received my Henry 45-70. When I got the rifle, I found that , while both bases had identical screw hole spacing, the holes on the Warne base are located about 0.2 inch farther forward, requiring a little filing to clear the standing breech (Henry rifles had their mounting screw holes located slightly farther back than H&R/NEF). The base cantilevers slightly over the top of the receiver with this modification. The good news is this shorter base clears the rear sight by about 1/8 inch, no need to remove it, and allowed me to fit a Leupold 2.5X Ultralight scope right where I wanted it. Note that 45-70, and I suspect .44 rem. rifles have the rear sights located farther back than the rifles using the thinner barrel profiles (.223-308). I subsequently used the same base on a .243, to mount a Leupold FX 6X, the same filing was required, but it's nowhere close to the rear sight. Fast forward to the the present, and Henry Pride now offers a Talley integral base and ring set for the H 15 rifles. There are two models shown: an old model and a new model, with the old model defined as having its rearmost mounting screw hole less than 0.4 inch from the chamber end of the barrel. So a Warne 981M base (and other bases made to fit H&R/NEF) should fit a new model without modification, but might now interfere with the rear sight on the 45-70, and maybe the .44. As soon as I get my 30-30, I'll know for sure ;) . By the way, the Warne base is blued steel, not aluminum; I think it looks a lot better that a Picatinny rail on an old school classic like the Henry.
1 x

Tony M
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tony M » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:06 pm

I also just bought my single shot .357 Henry and am very happy with it. I also did not want to take off the rear sight to mount a scope rail. I used a Weaver 82 sight rail and used a Dremel and files to cut a pocket out to fit down over the sight so I did not have to remove a new rear sight from a new rifle.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Pictures? Love to see pictures.
Tony M wrote:I also just bought my single shot .357 Henry and am very happy with it. I also did not want to take off the rear sight to mount a scope rail. I used a Weaver 82 sight rail and used a Dremel and files to cut a pocket out to fit down over the sight so I did not have to remove a new rear sight from a new rifle.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Tony M
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tony M » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am

Mags..Tell me how to contact you by e-mail and I will send some pics..Tony
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Tony M wrote:Mags..Tell me how to contact you by e-mail and I will send some pics..Tony
Tony, you can post pictures to this forum. Use the Preview/Editor window to write your post and use the attachment tab at the bottom of the window to upload pictures. If you choose the "place inline" option for your attachment, it will put the photo in the post where your cursor is located. That way, we can all see them. 8-)
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"