Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I finally shot 'em.

Henry's new single shots
Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

I finally shot 'em.

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 am

Due to a bunch of events, both foreseen and unanticipated (like wet weather, heat waves, knee issues, etc.) I hadn't shot either of my single shot rifles until last Wednesday. So a quick report is in order.

First, the .45-70. I mounted a Leupold ultralight 2.5 scope, for its long eye relief, on a Warne base, with Burris low Zee rings. I started at 50 yards, with Win. 300 grain loads. Two shots to the center of the target, third shot touched the second. I then shot at 100 yards, and was naturally a bit low. I raised it up a bit, and then switched to the Hornady 250 grain loads I plan to hunt with, which hit a bit higher. I dialed it in to be an inch high at 100 yards. I only shot 12 rounds in total, but will say I think this rifle is capable of around one inch groups at 100 yards, with both the loads I used. Recoil is noticeable, but, from a bench, it always is ;) . I still put it about like a light 20 ga. SxS with stout game loads.

The .243 followed, fitted with a Leupold FX 6X scope, on a Warne base, with Weaver Gloss Grand Slam medium rings (which are the same height as Burris low), to match the scope. I started with 100 grain Winchester loads at 50 yards, checked in at 100 yards at about 2" high, and then switched to the Federal 100 grain Nosler Partitions I'll hunt with. A little tweaking later, I shot a 3 shot one inch group an inch high. Again, I only shot a total of about a dozen rounds, but I'm confident this rifle will shoot.

Now I gotta get 'em into the hunting rotation in a few weeks :) .
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: I finally shot 'em.

Post by ESquared » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 am

Sounds like you're ready to rock the woods. Keep us posted on the hunt(s), best of luck out there and stay safe!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: I finally shot 'em.

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Good to hear those Henry single shots are delivering good accuracy. Been looking for one to buy, but nothing to be found in our area, so far.
0 x