Newbie to Henry with a HO15-243

Henry's new single shots
Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Newbie to Henry with a HO15-243

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Welcome aboard!

I, too, found the Weaver 82 scope base to fit the scope too far forward. I have a .45-70 and .243 Henry single shots, and used a Warne 981M steel base on both of them. It's a shorter base, with 4 cross slots, which allowed my the scopes (2.5x Leupold compact and 6X Leupold FX II) to be located farther back, but there's a minor complication. Henry located their mounting screws slightly farther back than on the NEF/H&R rifles for which both bases were originally made. The Warne base requires a little careful filing of the bottom of the rearmost 0.20 inch so that it will clear the standing breech, which results in the rear of the base being slightly cantilevered over the top of the receiver. A lot of single shot rifle bases do that. I think the Warne base looks a lot better than the picatinny rail types on a classic old school single shot like the Henry ;) .

I used the Carlson Hammer extenders, available from Henry. They're lighter, and I found them to snug up real well. And they're marked Henry :) .

Let me know if you'd like a picture of the base.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Newbie to Henry with a HO15-243

Post by ESquared » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Welcome, Rob, from KC! You'll find this place to be very helpful to newbies (like us)! Glad you're here!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357