Newbie to Henry with a HO15-243

Henry's new single shots
Rob Ray
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Newbie to Henry with a HO15-243

Post by Rob Ray » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 am

Hi All,

Found this Forum yesterday and had a couple of questions about my first Henry Rifle!

I was in my local gun store the first of the week and saw the Single shot 243....used to shoot trap and skeet and love pretty walnut...so I had to take this one home! I live in MO and have some nice old walnuts on my property that may one day be on Henry Rifles!

I tried the weaver base and had the problems many have expressed....scope was too far forward. I have spoken to the folks at EGW and ordered the #46201 which was made specifically for this rifle so hopefully that will work out. What base are you guys using? Any other options.

Also, I need a hammer extender....I have tried the Grovtec....but no matter how much I tighten, after a few dry fires it goes forward on the hammer and hits the frame and keeps the rebounding hammer from going fully forward (and mars the frame!)....Does the Carlson made for the big boy work on the HO15?

Any input on scope bases or hammer extenders would be appreciated....My trigger is 5 to 6 pounds and I may try to lighten it a bit....

Thanks,
ROB RAY
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Newbie to Henry with a HO15-243

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:29 am

3HRF.jpg
3HRF.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
Welcome from a neighbor in the Show-Me-State, Rob!

The .243 single shot is a nice choice for your first-time Henry. Bet you'll like shooting it a lot.
We'll look forward to some pics and any Range Reports you put together....Enjoy!

BTW, what neck of the MO woods do you live in?
PT7

Rob Ray wrote:Hi All,

Found this Forum yesterday and had a couple of questions about my first Henry Rifle!

I was in my local gun store the first of the week and saw the Single shot 243....used to shoot trap and skeet and love pretty walnut...so I had to take this one home! I live in MO and have some nice old walnuts on my property that may one day be on Henry Rifles!

I tried the weaver base and had the problems many have expressed....scope was too far forward. I have spoken to the folks at EGW and ordered the #46201 which was made specifically for this rifle so hopefully that will work out. What base are you guys using? Any other options.

Also, I need a hammer extender....I have tried the Grovtec....but no matter how much I tighten, after a few dry fires it goes forward on the hammer and hits the frame and keeps the rebounding hammer from going fully forward (and mars the frame!)....Does the Carlson made for the big boy work on the HO15?

Any input on scope bases or hammer extenders would be appreciated....My trigger is 5 to 6 pounds and I may try to lighten it a bit....

Thanks,
ROB RAY
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:33 am

Rob Ray wrote:Found this Forum yesterday and had a couple of questions about my first Henry Rifle!
Congratulations on your new Henry and welcome to the forum. Henry CS is always quite helpful, so if you don't get any answers to your questions from our members, you should give them a call.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Rob Ray
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rob Ray » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:07 am

PT7,

I live in Central Missouri and deer hunt down around the Lake of the Ozarks area and over in Callaway County not far from the nuclear plant....can hardly wait to take the .243 out in November! I've only shot 2 shots out of the new rifle(just could not wait to get it scoped!) I hit my steel 8 inch gong at 100 yards with both shots off a trigger stick with the iron sights....with no sight adjustments out of the box...and I'm not much of an iron sight shooter. With a little trigger work and a scope I believe it's going to be a shooter!

Rob Ray
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:56 am

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon. Glad you are here! When you get a chance please tell us how you went about 'finding this forum' here: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5160

Have you given Grovtec a call and explained the issue you're having with the trigger extender? They've been helpful when I've called them.
Rob Ray wrote:Hi All,
Found this Forum yesterday ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:08 pm

I know a little bit about the area you live in, Rob....near Fulton. Back in the nineties, my wife and I were living in KS and often traveled to visit family in IL using interstate 70. One time we stopped at Westminster College in Fulton to view the Berlin Wall exhibit. If I recall, it was set up and dedicated in 1991. Really an impressive historical monument. I'm a WWII buff, read a lot about that historical era, and mainly glad the Wall finally came down.

Since you reminded me about this display, I should get over there sometime to see it again. I live in the Northland of KCMO, and mapquest tells me that Fulton is 165 miles down-the-road. Not that far. Just this summer I made a visit to the Eisenhower Complex in Abilene, KS, and last year visited the Truman Presidential Library & Home in nearby Independence, MO. Also hope to someday visit Gen. John Pershing's home town in Laclede, MO. Would really like to see the "Blessing of Poppies Ceremony" there. Wow, simply jotting these down helped me to realize how many interesting sites we have here in the Heartland of the U.S. :)

Enough of the tourism. Where will you deer hunt? Your own land, someone else's land, or maybe MDC conservation area? I've hunted deer with my son-in-law on his 40-acre homestead up north in Hamilton, MO. Sure some beautiful countryside in our state. Trust you'll have a good venison harvest this year.

Anyway, welcome again to the HRF.
PT7
Rob Ray wrote:PT7,

I live in Central Missouri and deer hunt down around the Lake of the Ozarks area and over in Callaway County not far from the nuclear plant....can hardly wait to take the .243 out in November! I've only shot 2 shots out of the new rifle(just could not wait to get it scoped!) I hit my steel 8 inch gong at 100 yards with both shots off a trigger stick with the iron sights....with no sight adjustments out of the box...and I'm not much of an iron sight shooter. With a little trigger work and a scope I believe it's going to be a shooter!

Rob Ray
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:47 pm

welcome indeed, delighted to have you join our forum .... really looking forward to following your personalizing your new Henry .... we travel through Missouri twice a year between St Louis and KC, really like that part of the country .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 506#p71506
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Hello Rob .... welcome to the Forum from Runcorn, UK.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Hey Rob! Welcome from Nebraska. I am very interested in your reviews of the single shot. Cannot make up my mind on the caliber tho.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Rob
Have you paid a visit to the Henry website. They have some accessories there for the single shots that may help you. Scope bases and hammer extenders.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55