Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stock Warning

Henry's new single shots
Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Stock Warning

Post by Cofisher » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Dang! Sure makes you review the nice wood! Appreciating my straight grain carbine!
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Well, I'm close to that round count with my 45-70, and so far, so good.

I cracked a 30-06 pre-'64 Win. Model 70 Featherweight stock like that, by refinishing it and later hunting in a wet snowstorm. I believe the stock swelled a little, the tail end of the tang contacted the stock at the wrist, and when I shot a little buck, it acted just like a wedge, and cracked the stock; mostly because I failed to check if the tang was relieved so the recoil lug would absorb the force. I'm wondering if Henry's stock carving machine's computer has run amuck, and is allowing a small area of the tang to bear on the wrist of the stock, instead of the entire surface area. If so, a stock could crack simply from over-tightening the bolt.

I hope they solve this one quickly, a stock breaking in your hands would be bad :shock: . By the way, I replaced that cracked Model 70 stock with an early Brown Precision synthetic, back in the "do it yourself days". Now synthetic stocks are a dime a dozen - but none are a pretty as Henry's Walnut ;) .
1 x

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Well, just recieved my 45-70 from Henry warranty repair for the butt stock coming loose. I opened the box and there’s a crack 1” long. My 44 and 30-30 are still at Henry for cracked butt stocks. This is becoming ridiculous.
Attachments
C316B15A-73AC-4660-AC70-47503EEC10BB.jpeg
C316B15A-73AC-4660-AC70-47503EEC10BB.jpeg (201.32 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Sure is a shame seeing that beautiful walnut cracked like that. :( And to have so many instances on different firearms, too.
Keep us posted, Steider, and really hope all is resolved completely to your satisfaction. Plus I hope Henry figures out why this is happening.....
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 pm

if you have pictures of the others as well, I'd recommend you email them, along with comments, directly to Anthony .... this is the type of thing he most certainly needs to know
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:39 am

This problem with the stocks cracking looks like it could cost Henry quite a bit of money if the problem is not found quick. There may be a lot of the guns already shipped that could have the same issue when fired. I hate to see these reports of Henry having so many rifles sent back for warranty issues. Almost starting to make Marlin's not sound to bad. They will get it figured out. They are a very good company that always takes care of their customers. A friend of mine has a fantastic piece of wood on his chambered in 223 Rem. and he is now afraid of shooting it due to hearing about the stock cracking issues.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:13 pm

I have to wonder if there's someone there working on them is over-tightening the stock bolt. They only need to be snug, maybe they're cranking them down too tight. After all, two piece stocks are hardly a new feature ;) , and we have SXS shotguns with less wood bearing area than what my Henrys appear to have (haven't removed the stock to look) holding up just fine for hundreds of rounds; many with equal or even more recoil energy applied to the wrist. But yes, I hope they figure this out fast, and then report it. It does make a guy wonder. My 45-70 has been fired about 30 times, though, so I'm thinking it's fine. The .243 seems OK, too, but there's not much recoil there :) .
0 x

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:16 pm

If I had Anthony’s contact info I most certainly would contact him. I have Tia Rodriguez email and have been sending pictures to her. As far as I can tell she’s the head of customer service at the Rice Lake plant. Also, by how dirty the barrel is when returned. They are test firing the gun after the repairs. You would think someone would catch the cracks if it’s happening before shipping. I do know the first two Single Shot rifles I bought right after Henry released them to stores had loose butt stocks after 50 rounds. Now, they don’t get loose, but they are cracking. I also noticed that Cabela’s used to offer all the calibers online. Now they only offer the 243 and stopped selling the other calibers. Also, it isn’t just the rifles. My 20 gauge cracked after 12 shells and when I went to Cabelas because they had the 12 gauge. The one they had in box was cracked so I took the one they had on display. So, I think it isn’t just one person at Henry over tighting. It’s more of a procedure or engineering issue because my 12 has a different size butt stock than my 20 and I’ve seen both guns with cracked stocks. I don’t think one person is tighting all Henry butt stocks. Im literally up to around 10 return labels in my emails now for this issue. Yesterday, I actually got a return label email before I recieved the confirmed delivery email from Henry for my 30-30. Henry is super fast on responding, it’s just frustrating that I have 5 single shots and 4 of them are on their 2nd or 3rd butt stock.
Last edited by steider on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:25 pm

bandit1250 wrote:This problem with the stocks cracking looks like it could cost Henry quite a bit of money if the problem is not found quick. There may be a lot of the guns already shipped that could have the same issue when fired. I hate to see these reports of Henry having so many rifles sent back for warranty issues. Almost starting to make Marlin's not sound to bad. They will get it figured out. They are a very good company that always takes care of their customers. A friend of mine has a fantastic piece of wood on his chambered in 223 Rem. and he is now afraid of shooting it due to hearing about the stock cracking issues.
in another thread (link below) addressing cracked stocks Anthony Imperato stated in part, "From the numbers of replacement stocks shipped compared to 300,000 guns being shipped it is a very insignificant number – that being said, we want it to be close to zero." .... I have no reason to doubt his numbers and having them does put the issue in perspective .... without having access to the total picture, its really easy to over/under estimate the scope of an issue .... I didn't buy our 3 Henry rifles to sit an look at them .... they were purchased to be fired and fired often .... the good news if, at worse case, one or more of ours was to crack, in a couple of weeks it would be back in house, ready to let rounds fly

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5599
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:11 pm

steider wrote:If I had Anthony’s contact info I most certainly would contact him.... it’s just frustrating that I have 5 single shots and 4 of them are on their 2nd or 3rd butt stock.
Steider, you can contact him at:
Anthony@Henryrepeating.com
Keep us posted.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"