Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stock Warning

Henry's new single shots
BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Stock Warning

Post by BigBlue » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:00 pm

I was at my local gun shop on Thursday when a gent was picking up a Henry single shot rifle that he had ordered. He took it out of the box and you could see how beautiful the wood grain looked. He slid the sock down, that Henry uses to protect the receiver finish, and the stock let go right at the wrist. It was broken clean through and as soon as he tried to raise up the rifle the break let go. I think the poor guy's heart broke right then and there and the dealer apologized profusely, but the only thing for it was to order another and send this one back. The box was still in decent shape and this could happen to any rifle, but I think the rifles packaging could be better. Luckily this happened before the rifle was transferred, it makes the process easier. I just thought I'd give you all a heads up and let you know to check the rifles out very closely before accepting the transfer. Had this been a smaller crack the poor guy may have gone home with it and not even noticed it.
0 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Stock Warning

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:54 pm

It's hard to imagine how the factory box could have been "in decent shape" but the hardwood stock had been severed in two. This is something that will certainly get HRA's attention when it's returned. :shock:
BigBlue wrote:I was at my local gun shop on Thursday when a gent was picking up a Henry single shot rifle that he had ordered. He took it out of the box and you could see how beautiful the wood grain looked. He slid the sock down, that Henry uses to protect the receiver finish, and the stock let go right at the wrist. It was broken clean through and as soon as he tried to raise up the rifle the break let go. I think the poor guy's heart broke right then and there and the dealer apologized profusely, but the only thing for it was to order another and send this one back. The box was still in decent shape and this could happen to any rifle, but I think the rifles packaging could be better. Luckily this happened before the rifle was transferred, it makes the process easier. I just thought I'd give you all a heads up and let you know to check the rifles out very closely before accepting the transfer. Had this been a smaller crack the poor guy may have gone home with it and not even noticed it.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Sorry about what happened. It can be disappointing for things to meet expectations. But, it may be worth the wait. ;)
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 pm

Even if he got it home, then found the issue, Henry Repeating Arms would have taken care of him. A fellow bought a Big Boy at the same store I bought mine. He strapped it to his motorcycle to ride home. The box came partially loose and began dragging at the muzzle end. The muzzle was destroyed. Henry replaced it even though it was his fault. Fortunately we are dealing with a company that will go to the greatest lengths to make all of us happy ;)
6 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am

Could have been a factory defect, not a shipping issue. We all love fancy curl and figure in a stock, but there's one place on a stock that should be as straightforward grained as possible and that is at the wrist. If that stock had figure and curl in the wrist, it should have been weeded out somewhere in the QC process. Something to note when inspecting a gun to buy.
5 x

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:27 pm

My 44 is at Henry for the second time so they can put the 3rd butt stock in the last 3 months on the gun. My 45-70 has been sent back because of a loose butt stock so it’s getting its 2nd butt stock and my 20 gauge is on its second butt stock also. I’m not sure if Henry has a engineering or quality issue with the single shot rifles and shotguns but the stocks don’t hold up to recoil of even pistol caliber rounds. With 2 stocks severely cracking while shooting literally under my hand at the pistol grip. It wouldn’t surprise me if Henry isn’t considering a mass recall right now.
Attachments
59127BE1-4114-4AFB-AA2B-72DC4DF9C2C8.jpeg
59127BE1-4114-4AFB-AA2B-72DC4DF9C2C8.jpeg (166.34 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
E0340AA5-386F-48CA-9E88-AB5C92F9CDC1.jpeg
E0340AA5-386F-48CA-9E88-AB5C92F9CDC1.jpeg (197.89 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:32 pm

_WELCOME!_.jpg
_WELCOME!_.jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 6210 times
….and Greetings from the Show-Me-State, Steider.

Wow, for your first Henry post you've given us some pretty vivid rifle damage photos. I've not ever seen Henry wood look like that. And honestly, hope I don't see many more like it soon.

Anyway, glad you've joined the Forum.
PT7
steider wrote:My 44 is at Henry for the second time so they can put the 3rd butt stock in the last 3 months on the gun. My 45-70 has been sent back because of a loose butt stock so it’s getting its 2nd butt stock and my 20 gauge is on its second butt stock also. I’m not sure if Henry has a engineering or quality issue with the single shot rifles and shotguns but the stocks don’t hold up to recoil of even pistol caliber rounds. With 2 stocks severely cracking while shooting literally under my hand at the pistol grip. It wouldn’t surprise me if Henry isn’t considering a mass recall right now.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:57 pm

steider wrote:My 44 is at Henry for the second time so they can put the 3rd butt stock in the last 3 months on the gun...
Thanks for the photos and the heads up on this issue. Keep us posted, please; and welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Yikes! I'm wondering what's up with that? Crazy to have 3 with the same issue.
0 x

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Well, I picked up my 30-30 single shot today from my FFL. Is it bad that I wasn’t surprised that the butt stock is cracked on this one also? My FFL said he’ll send it back to Davidson’s but I need to pay the return shipping for Davidson’s warrenty. I just told him I’ll fill out a Henry Warrenty request online and let Henry deal with it. Now my 45-70 single is at Henry for a loose stock. My 44 single is at Henry for a cracked stock. And, soon to be my 30-30. They can’t be making any profit on these guns with the shipping cost, new parts and labor for warranty repairs. I highly recommend everyone with a single shot to go to the range and shoot it 50 times and check the stock. Here’s a pic if my new 30-30.
Attachments
D332165C-F2F4-4318-94F0-E7DFF92340AA.jpeg
D332165C-F2F4-4318-94F0-E7DFF92340AA.jpeg (130.82 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
2 x