Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My HO15-308 is home

Henry's new single shots
Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: My HO15-308 is home

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:54 pm

That's a nice one. Congrats on a great pick up. I'll bet the fiddleback is even more clear in person.
2 x

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:That's a nice one. Congrats on a great pick up. I'll bet the fiddleback is even more clear in person.
Thank you and it does show up better in person.

Mac
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 pm

She is a beauty!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:12 am

Well this is a real bummer...

I have to send my 308 back to Henry.

I have some issues with the trigger and the excessive hammer pull.

The good folks at Henry have assured me that they will make things right and I am hopeful that they will...

I'll keep you posted

Mac
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:35 am

I'v also noticed the stout hammer pull, but have attributed that to the rebounding hammer mechanism. Is your trigger pull really heavy? I was surprised how good the trigger is on my 45-70; the .243 feels OK, but, lacking a snap cap, I haven't really checked it out yet. I've heard of a few others being heavy, so I'm confident Henry will get it right for you.
0 x

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:I'v also noticed the stout hammer pull, but have attributed that to the rebounding hammer mechanism. Is your trigger pull really heavy? I was surprised how good the trigger is on my 45-70; the .243 feels OK, but, lacking a snap cap, I haven't really checked it out yet. I've heard of a few others being heavy, so I'm confident Henry will get it right for you.
It's pretty bad actually.. There is a definite hitch pulling it back. It's almost 10lbs and I basically have a set trigger with it the way it is right now. I can start squeezing it and stop, then have a lighter pull of 3.5 lbs to finish the break and all of this is easy to hear as well feel with it. It actually feels like I am dragging the trigger over gravel... The hammer pull is reading 18.5lbs... So I know something is definitely wrong with it. I've tried lubricating it and working the trigger on it several hundred times but that's gotten me nowhere.

I could take it apart and do a trigger job myself, but seeing as this gun is new and unfired I shouldn't mess with it..

I'll give them a chance to fix it first...

This is all very frustrating to say the least

Mac
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 08, 2018 7:16 am

frustration understood but I do agree with your decision to send it back .... not only will they get it right for you but, with this being a new line, they may learn something that will help them
1 x

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:27 pm

JEBar wrote:frustration understood but I do agree with your decision to send it back .... not only will they get it right for you but, with this being a new line, they may learn something that will help them
I do hope so, after all this would be a great rifle to hand down to one of my sons.

Mac
0 x

slofyr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by slofyr » Wed May 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Mac11700 wrote:
Yornoc3 wrote:I'v also noticed the stout hammer pull....
It's pretty bad actually.. . It actually feels like I am dragging the trigger over gravel... The hammer pull is reading 18.5lbs... So I know something is definitely wrong with it.....

Unfortunately, nothing is wrong with it. Henry designed and built it that way, and it appears engineered by their lawyers. The hammer is stiff because it compresses two springs. If you remove the inner spring it will lighten the pull, but then the hammer strike may not ignite all primers because the strike energy is neutered by the rebound action. The reason is the shape of the hammer spring guide hand. Re-contouring the spring guide is the fix, but doing it should be done by an EXPERIENCED GUNSMITH who can visualize the motion and not overdo the reduction. I suspect Henry will not sell you a spring guide for your experimentation. A gunsmith doing the mod could fabricate a duplicate spring guide so you could preserve the OEM item. Expect to invest a wad of $$$ for the job.

The gritty trigger is caused by the conical-shaped trigger return spring. Its wide end slides against an area of the frame casting which has a crude sand-cast finish resembling aggregate concrete. Filing the offending area smooth is the fix.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 pm

slofyr wrote:
Unfortunately, nothing is wrong with it. Henry designed and built it that way, and it appears engineered by their lawyers. The hammer is stiff because it compresses two springs. If you remove the inner spring it will lighten the pull, but then the hammer strike may not ignite all primers because the strike energy is neutered by the rebound action. The reason is the shape of the hammer spring guide hand. Re-contouring the spring guide is the fix, but doing it should be done by an EXPERIENCED GUNSMITH who can visualize the motion and not overdo the reduction. I suspect Henry will not sell you a spring guide for your experimentation. A gunsmith doing the mod could fabricate a duplicate spring guide so you could preserve the OEM item. Expect to invest a wad of $$$ for the job.

The gritty trigger is caused by the conical-shaped trigger return spring. Its wide end slides against an area of the frame casting which has a crude sand-cast finish resembling aggregate concrete. Filing the offending area smooth is the fix.
Thanks, slofyr. But, please explain your statement a bit more clearly. Did you talk to anyone at Henry that helped form this conclusion? What was that conversation like? Did they admit to a known problem with the shape of the hammer spring guide? How and why were lawyers likely involved? I'd like to know more.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"