Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Chuckhawks review of the single shot in .223....

Henry's new single shots
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Chuckhawks review of the single shot in .223....

Post by Mistered » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Single-shot actions are just plain fun. Unlike an AR which can burn through a LOT of lunch money on range day, the H015 lets you stay longer and not go hungry. And, there is more reward from a well aimed single shot.
I agree - and really enjoy my .223 Handi-rifle at range or field. I never did understand the 'draw' of blazing away a 1000 round can of ammo as fast as one can. I suspect there are probably more 'modern sporting rifles' collecting dust than are being shot due to the high cost of feeding them!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:47 am

in thinking back, I well remember my progression in developing preferences for and against certain types of firearms .... my first was a single shot 12 ga H&R Topper .... other than muzzle loaders, I haven't owned another single shot firearm .... with shotguns I went from the Topper to a side-by-side, to an Ithaca pump, to a Remington 11-87 semi auto .... while I do have an over & under, other gauges, other actions that pretty much stay in the vault .... if I need a shotgun, I take the 11-87 .... with with hand guns, early on, I purchased a 1911 ... wasn't comfortable with it and moved to western style single action revolvers .... again, I wasn't comfortable with the way they handled so I moved double action revolvers .... that is all I've used every since ....with rifles my first love was and still is a lever action .... over time I tried pumps, semi autos and bolt actions and I still prefer bolt and lever actions .... I have friends whose deer hunting rifle of choice is an AR type rifle, mostly chambered in 308 .... its a good thing that there are many options available because one size most certainly doesn't fit all ....
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 am

JEBar wrote:so I moved double action revolvers .... that is all I've used every since ....with rifles my first love was and still is a lever action....
I seem to prefer double action revolvers as well. I think it is the simplicity that appeals to me for use in a crisis. Simply, point and shoot. As for lever actions, I too have seemed to have been partial to them since childhood. I think it is the smooth motion of loading the chamber. Unless one is in a war (or law enforcement), 6 shots should do the job. If not, the wrong firearm is being used or not being used appropriately.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 am

All I can add is that my Henry single shot fits right in with the Ruger #1 falling block and Brno Effect Kipplauf that it shares the safe with, and it cost a lot less than either of them. ;) Obviously, not the same type of action, a much more simple rifle to build, but it's really nice for what it is.
1 x