Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rebounding hammer

Henry's new single shots
DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Rebounding hammer

Post by DAVIDF » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 am

SingleAction357 wrote:My .22 mag mares leg has a transfer bar safety, so I know they use them, I just wonder why not here?
Are you sure? I believe the .22 Mag Mare's Leg and rifles have a 1/4 cock safety only, as do Henry's other .22 lever guns.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:56 pm

All my Henry levers have a transfer bar safety. 22,44,45/70!
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NoFlyZone » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 pm

I was under the belief that the Henry .22 cal rifles (and .22 Mares leg) did not have a transfer bar, just a half cock?
But I'm not 100% sure about the .22 Mag as I don't have one.
I just looked at 3 of my .22 Henry's and non have transfer bar.
My .357's do have a transfer bar.

Dale - AZ
1 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am

Squatch wrote:All my Henry levers have a transfer bar safety. 22,44,45/70!
Squatch,

Which .22 do you have? My Classic carbine does not have a transfer bar.

This is what Henry lists on their website for the .22 Golden Boy:

Safety1/4 Cock
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:00 pm

I have a Golden Boy. I haven't had it torn down that far in a while. But pretty sure I remember having to insert the bar when I reassembled it last time. If I remember correctly I had to fumble with it a bit. Seems it lays in a groove on the hammer.

Also can't remember if it's a hammer to pin transfer bar or a hammer block that releases on trigger pull. Both accomplish the same end result. No fire without hammer pull.

Hopefully I'll be stripping all 3 of my Henry's down to the receivers for a thorough cleaning soon. I will double check then.

You've got me curious now. But I don't have the time right now to take it apart. I hope I'm not getting the 22 and 44 mixed up. But They were more similar than different.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 pm

For what it's worth I did just go to Henry's site. It does say 1/4 cock on the GB and transfer bar on the Big Boy and 45/70. So maybe I was confused! :shock: :lol:

Best safety is NO round in the chamber unless ready to shoot!
1 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 am

I don't like 1/4 cock without floating firing pin .. If you drop your gun you can break the 1/4 cock ear off sear and gun can fire . ... Rebounding hammer with a floating firing pin is the best safety for hunting in a lever or break open . Firing pin block in a bolt gun are the best carry loaded hunting rifles [ not a trigger block ] These are very very safe with loaded 1 round in chamber .
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am

I agree on the firing pin block safety you get on most bolt rifles. Still the best option for carrying a loaded round. For my lever guns, I still like the much hated cross bolt hammer safeties found on later Winchester and Marlins. For sure, not traditional, but pretty darn handy when you want to unload a side loading lever gun by cycling the action.
2 x