Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which caliber?

Henry's new single shots
Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Which caliber?

Post by Henry88 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:37 am

Ojaileveraction wrote: Our engineer who worked on this design offers the following information:

“Henry Rifle actions (whether it is the Long Ranger or Single Shot) are designed and tested to withstand the higher pressure of the 5.56 NATO ammunition. The rifle is chambered in 5.56 NATO, which allows you to shoot either 223 or 5.56. The main chamber difference is the length of the freebore. Many pressure spikes are caused by using 5.56 NATO ammunition in a 223 chamber. The spike being caused by the bullet being seated into the grooves of the rifling, resulting in a pressure spike or action failure at ignition. Never shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition in a rifle chambered for 223 Remington”.
That seemed like a pretty darn good explanation.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 am

I see the rational for the longer throat in the Long Ranger and Single Shot, since they're likely to be used as hunting rifles, maybe even deer rifles where appropriate, using heavy for caliber, longer, bullets. That sure didn't seem to affect the rifle ammoland reviewed, albeit that was a pretty small sample. If they all shoot like that one, I'm on board ;) .
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:48 am

I agree. The tech knows his stuff and it answers some questions for me. Given that we don't hunt and never shoot 5.56 or even 223s with bigger bullets, I'll stick to our standard chambered 223s for the sake of accuracy. Thanks for getting that info.
1 x

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:34 pm

I know that this is a older thread,but I feel that this is still a relivent question,that I would add my reasons.

I'll preface this by saying that I am very aware of single shot rifles and shotguns. I have had so many that it is hard to keep track of all of them over all my years using them. I've had a blast with them...more than any other type of rifle.From the 22's to the 458Win mag load levels in 45-70's.

Which caliber should you go for,if you haven't already,my choice is a 308 Winchester.

While not the best varmint rig, with the proper loads it will suffice nicely. On the opposite side of the spectrum,it is a DG rig, but again if pressed into service can take very very large critters..

The 308 Winchester is the best choice of the calibers offered at the moment for all types of shooting or hunting.

If you reload, the sky is the limit,(provided you and your rifle can shoot accurately)..and I hope you do, because with this type of action,you can control the whole aspect of your ammunition. Factory loads run from pennies a round up to $3.00 a round..and many are easily found worldwide for $1.00-$2.00. The more exotic naturally costing more (another reason to reload)

I shoot the 308's a lot and it's one of my favorite rounds..

My Henry,will be my"Walk-about" rifle. With it's Target rear and Firesight front it will be a Joy to use in my hunts.

There is a mysticism that comes when many of us have for these types of rifles.This is especially true when it only has open sights. They are a joy to hold and carry afield, and are not cumbersome.Setup's like this requires patience and deliberate shot placement, and when done properly, not only will those using magazine fed scoped rigs stand in awe,but all the bs arguments against using one quietly slink away.

For now, the 308 too me is the best choice to recommend but with all of this...it is just my opinion.

If I could recommend a different caliber to Henry to seriously consider..it would be the either something in the 6.5's like the 260 Remington or the 6x55 Swedish.. which would be awesome...along with another favorite the 7 mm's like the 7mm Mauser or the 280. While neither is a varmint round the 6.5's would be easier to utilize.

Thanks

Mac
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:38 pm

I handled one today for the first time at my local gun club. Caliber was 243 and it did have some really nice wood on it. As I mentioned before the current calibers there chambered in dont really do much for me. 223 is ok and I know there is alot of ammo available for them but I already have guns in that caliber I dont use. I would jump on one if there was one in 357. I did try one thing out while I had the gun in my hand and that was the trigger and the hammer. I really didnt find the hammer pull back that bad. Its not butter smooth and it is a little on the heavy side but nothing you couldnt live with. I get the impression from others at times that its just way over the top stiff. Not so in my opinion. I could live with it. We shall see if other calibers come out soon and I will be watching for one in 357. Like NCG says you just cant have to many 357's.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55