Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single Shot thoughts

Henry's new single shots
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Single Shot thoughts

Post by Squatch » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:53 am

I'm really attracted to the single shots. Had they been out last year I probably would have bought one in 45/70 instead of the lever action.

But seeing as how I have a Henry lever in 22lr, 44mag, 45/70. I'd love to have a single shot in each! :lol: But the more I think about it. And assuming I'll buy just one. I think I'll have to go for a brass 44 mag. I love the brass rifles. But they have no recoil pad and the single shots are much lighter than a brass lever with an octagon barrel. I think full power 45/70's in the brass SS might be pretty brutal to the shoulder. I think I would probably shoot it much more often in 44 mag. We'll see if I still feel that way when they become available in early summer! :D
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Single Shot thoughts

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 am

I'm with you. My experience with 45-70s and steel butt plates has been, uh, painful. Since a single shot Henry will be strictly a range gun for us, I'm leaning to the 223 to keep ammo costs, down and, of course, no black and blue shoulder.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am

understood .... we have both a Henry Color Case Hardened 45-70 and a Big Boy Steel .44 Mag .... mechanically they are similar and are two of my favorites .... for my use, I'd have no problem with hard butt plate on a 44 but have no use for a hard butt plate on a 45-70 .... thankfully, not all of us have the same preferences in firearms .... as examples : I have absolutely no interest in an AR style rifle .... I also have no interest in any type of a single shot rifle, shotgun, or pistol .... over time I anticipate firing many thousands (if not tens of thousands) more rounds through the 44 than I do the 45-70 .... it pretty much sums it up to say it is fun to shoot .... that isn't to say that shooting Cowboy Action loads isn't fun in the 45-70 .... as a matter of fact, we are scheduled to take our 45-70 to a gunsmith tomorrow .... he will examine the recoil pad and if a more effective one is available he will install it .... in addition, he will be installing a Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the stock .... in May we plan to take it to Mag-Na-Port .... my hope is the combination of upgrades will produce a significant reduction in felt recoil
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Sounds like a good plan. My experience with mag-na-porting on some very nasty single shot pistol alibis has been very positive. If I ever go back to a 45-70 or such, that's the way I'll go, too.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Sounds like a good plan. My experience with mag-na-porting on some very nasty single shot pistol alibis has been very positive. If I ever go back to a 45-70 or such, that's the way I'll go, too.
many years ago I had my favorite revolver, a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag, Mag-na-Ported .... the results were dramatic, completely changed the way is shoots .... barrel jump was all but eliminated, recoil is more straight back .... since then, I've had them take care of a Remington 700 chambered in 300 WBY Mag, a Remington 700 (synthetic stock, all weather) 30-06, and a Browning BLR 308 .... in May, along with our 45-70, we plan to take them a Ruger Model 77 (synthetic stock, all weather) 30-06 .... the best way I can relate the difference it has made is, due to the lack of barrel jump, I saw the bullet hit the deer .... there is no doubt resetting for a second shot is easier and quicker
0 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:56 pm

I think I might go with the .223 too if i get one. If a .357 were available, I would be all over that without a doubt. Maybe a 45 Colt too but I already have an H&R single shot in that caliber. The 44 magnum doesn't do much for me other than create another gun that shoots expensive rounds.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:16 pm

357 for me, too. Actually surprised they didn't offer it in 357.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:28 pm

North Country Gal wrote:357 for me, too. Actually surprised they didn't offer it in 357.
I bet they will in 2018 if enough sell this year or enough of us ask for it.

I don't have any .357's anymore, otherwise I would love one. Since I have a number of .44's, I would love to get one of the brass models in .44 to go along with my Big Boy. It would make a fun plinker on the bench. However, if I buy another gun this year, it will first be the Big Boy All-Weather.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Anyone manage to find one of these in stock yet? Not sure if they are shipping...
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:52 pm

I don't believe they are shipping till late spring or early summer.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.