Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry rifle twist rates

Henry's new single shots
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Henry rifle twist rates

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:46 am

I know the issue of twist rate for the various Henry centerfires has been mentioned, now and then, in a few posts, but I see nothing on the Henry site. Don't own a Henry centerfire, yet, but hope to change that. Twist rate, though, is an important consideration to me in certain chamberings and it will definitely influence my choice of cartridge.

For instance, love single shots, but no mention of twist rate for the 44 mag or the 223 in their new single shot. Same for their lever actions in 44 mag or 45 Colt. In those revolver cartridge versions, would much prefer getting a rifle with the same twist rate as my single action revolvers, 1-16 on the 45 Colt and 1-20 on the 44 mag. In the 223, much prefer a 1 in 9 or faster.

Have already passed up some good deals on Marlin 44 mags and 45 Colt rifles because Marlin stubbornly insists on staying with slow twist rates in their lever guns.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, folks.
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Henry rifle twist rates

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:04 pm

0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks. Exactly the info I needed. Looks like the single shots are a go. Big boy lever guns, iffy.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Interesting. I'm not sure I'd trust the info on the single shots. They list the same for 44mag and 45/70. Might be a typo. Pretty slow rate on the 44 leverguns. That might explain why mine shoots so differently with 180 gr vs 240gr.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:15 pm

After drooling over the new 2017 catalog, I've decided that I need .......... 1 of everything!! :D

I wish. :(
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:38 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Thanks. Exactly the info I needed. Looks like the single shots are a go. Big boy lever guns, iffy.
I noticed on a few of Henry lever rifles the 45 Colt and 44 mag have the same rate of twist and other models lever gun in 45 Colt and 44 mag they are rate of twist is different . :roll: I wonder if that is a type O or is it true rate of twist ???????? Marlin has 2 different in there 44 mag lever guns . One for the micro and another one for ballard rifling in 44 mag . The 444 has 2 different twist too . Early and late models .
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Not sure what to think, now. A lot of conflicting info floating, around.

On the subject of twist rate, been around long enough to know that there is nothing automatic about what one twist rate will or won't handle. Always a gun and load combo that is the exception. Still, odds are better of being able to shoot the same ammo with the same relative performance if the twist rates between the revolvers and rifles are in the same ballpark, at least. What I want to avoid are the super slow 1 in 38s. Again, not an absolute deal breaker, but not crazy about slow twists. The rifle will be very much be second fiddle to the handguns, anyway.
0 x

Smoke4320
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Smoke4320 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:29 pm

I questioned Henry on the 45 colt twist rate and got the following response from Tom and again from Anthony

'Tom Kotz'
Subject: RE: Contact Message - Henry Repeating Arms

Barrel .45C :

TWIST -1 TURN IN 16”, R.H.
BORE DIA .441 +.002”GROOVE DIA .451+ .002”
0 x
I want to die in my sleep like grandpa ..not a screaming like the passengers in his bus

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:52 pm

I do know the designers at Henry pay close attention to industry standards and norms as does Marlin and most other manufactures I'm aware of
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:26 pm

After reading this thread earlier today I did some reading. It seems the 1:38 of the Henry Big Boy 44 mag is pretty common for lever guns. The 1:20 seems to be a common pistol twist rate.

As always the best source is just to call or E mail Henry. While you are at it ask if the single shots break down like a shotgun. :D
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.