Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is Cost The Main Attraction

Henry's new single shots
Ruger1300
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Is Cost The Main Attraction

Post by Ruger1300 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 am

Besides all of the points everyone else has made...I just want one. I have no use for it as I don't hunt and there are better bench rifles. The price of the gun, a trigger job, a scope, and possibly a riser are about the same as the user tricked out Browning ATAC I had my eye on. But for some reason I keep coming back to these single shots.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am

Looking forward to mine for sure.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Ruger1300 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 am
Besides all of the points everyone else has made...I just want one.
that's about the best reason I know of to buy one .... please be sure to take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry rifles to our community's total
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Thats the reason I bought one I just wanted one. Its simple light and handles really nice. 357 is just a fun round to load for and plink with.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:52 am

I guess I'll be the one to whiz in the cornflakes. Aside from being the logical choice as a youth gun to aid in training money has to be the #1 deciding factor in the purchase of a 1 shooter. Most who buy them would rather have something more elaborate but are either unwilling or unable to let go of the money for something else. When the H&Rs/Neff singles were so popular it was for one reason. You could buy a receiver and fit 27 different barrels to it on the cheap. At least that's what most I know did. No matter what you did to them they were never as accurate as other guns and you only had 1 round to deal with. Plain and simple, money rules most things. Many will come up with other reasons to justify buying a single but if they want to be honest money is at the root of their choices 99% of the time.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:52 pm

In my case it was a 'want' that I convinced myself was a 'need'. That drove motivation to come up with the funds to address the 'need'.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I had always wanted an NEF Handi-Rifle and had been looking for one in .357 when one in .233 popped up on a local forum for the right price so I did not hesitate.
I like the simplicity along with the psychological aspect of MAYBE taking a little more time for the shot due the longer reload time - and this is definitely reality with a muzzleloader.
Unfortunately since Remington dropped the NEF line the highly popular caliber models have literally dried up and I was really glad to have found the .223 - as it is one of the 'popular' calibers.
While the NEFs are certainly not 'match grade' rifles they can shoot surprisingly well - especially after a little trigger work and using good handloads.
0 x

csgrv
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by csgrv » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:04 pm

I am a big fan of the Hawkins Pecussion rifles so to "upgrade" to a single shot Henry would be cool.
0 x
Long Ranger .308
H001Y .22lr
H003T .22lr
Whitworth .270
1991A1 .45
J-Frame .38
S&W .32 Hand Ejector

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:32 am

I guess I'm a "1 percenter", 'cause I now have three of them. I admit the price aspect is in play, too, I probably wouldn't have picked up 3 Ruger #1's over the same period ;) . But I gotta say that the 45-70 and .243 both shoot as good, or better, than my 7x57 #1A, and their wood is at least equal, too. And neither of them needed the trigger/hammer spring replacement, as the newer 30-30 did. They're just a bargain :) .
0 x

Dapull
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Dapull » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Hello all. First time commenting on this site.
New to Henry rifles and I wanted to see what all the fuss was regarding long distance shooting. Purchasing a Henry single shot in 223 let me kill two birds with 1 stone. I do not like A R platforms or semi auto rifles as they burn through too much ammo. I really like the pace of target shooting with my single shot, gives me time to think about what went right and how to repeat that one inch group I just completed. I no longer hunt and have no desire to use this rifle other than a range queen. Federal A E 55 grain FMJBT is what I'll be using to shoot with. Again, cost being the deciding factor. Went with a Sightron scope and I couldn't be happier. Total investment to date is $650. I purchased a couple books on long range shooting ($80) to start my basic training, many thanks to you forum members for sharing Henry specific information.
That one inch group was from a wooden bench (table?) on top of four range bags my wife sewed up using bags of rice. All I did was bore sighting and then sighted in the scope. No wind at 100 yards, I grinned all the way home😁
4 x