Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is Cost The Main Attraction

Henry's new single shots
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Is Cost The Main Attraction

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Squatch wrote:I can shoot more than enough 45/70 rds per range session with a single shot! :lol:

best line of the day ... :mrgreen:
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Placing each round in the chamber also insures the bullet is not damaged. If you ever fill your tube and then recycle everything through it you will see just how much a bullet can be deformed loading.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:53 pm

I am thinking 45-70 in the single shot break open. I want one just to play with different loads for it.

Also a .223 in the single shot for prairie dog shooting. I have used a Rossi single shot that Rossi refused to replace the barrel. The chamber was cut too long, or deep. I have to load ammo too long to head space in my good rifles. Next to a left hand load, right hand bolt single shot for blasting prairie dogs from a rest the break open Henry is going to sell will be fine and be much fun operating.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:30 am

JEBar wrote:the cost of a Henry single shot rifle is about half of their corresponding lever action and I can see that as a definite consideration .... there has to be more than that in motivating a person to purchase a single shot rifle .... just curious, for those who use a single shot rifle, what's the main attraction :?:
I think the primary "attraction" is simply what a person likes in a firearm. As an example, I'm a wheel gun person. That's what I like, that's what I have.

As far as a single-shot rifle or shotgun (I've shot both), I like the aspect of really slowing down and thinking about the one shot that is coming, or the one shot that just went downrange. That is very enjoyable and rewarding, too.

I also mentioned in one of the threads below when my son-in-law gave me a piece of his "shooting wisdom" that has stuck with me. I use it every time I go to the range. He always reminded me that "the first shot is the only one that really counts." A single-shot long gun supports that wisdom, and I like it.

Lastly for my monologue of 2 cents. These two recent discussions on the new Henry single-shot well relate to your question, "what's the main attraction?" Jstraw's & NCG's comments brought neat ideas out about single-shot firearms. Within their quotes I put some of their comments in bold, because I thought this was very cool stuff. So I'm adding those quotes below because I thought they really brought why we shoot to a more complete picture. To me what they wrote is not only an "attraction;" it is an "essence." This essence is the most crucial element, and it is individual to each person.

Re: Henry to introduce shotguns in January 2017
jstraw wrote: > 2 months ago
Those old single shot break action and bolt action shotguns were used by those who were mainly hunters. The gun was a tool to get the job done. In these hunter's hands they were deadly on game. These hunters wanted a plate full of squirrels and gravy not an heirloom stowed in a bedroom closet to avoid getting scratches or rained on. These guns were most always handy and in reach if needed quickly. They were not worth much to others but priceless to the younger generations of the family years later. They weren't safe queens. They were in the woods on cool October mornings when real memories were being made by families and hunting buddies.
I believe the new single barrel break action shotguns will have to be at a very competitive price point to enjoy continued strong sales once the initial hoopla of their arrival subsides. I am excited myself and hope we again have a quality made in the USA single shot shotgun that will have strong sales for many years.
Re: Single Shot Rifle Calibers.....
North Country Gal wrote: > 1 week ago

In addition there is a long and venerated tradition of the single shot in American gun lore, both for target and hunting and it shows up in some famous movies. Who can forget that monster Sharps rifle that Quigley used? That movie spawned a rush on Sharps clones that lives to this day. Jeremiah Johnson did the same for black powder Hawkens, TV shows featuring Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett and so many more kept interest alive in Kentucky style rifles. The list goes on.

All the long range target guns in the 1800s were the classic single shots and those were the inspiration for Bill Ruger's No. 1.

Me, I shoot TC Contenders and Encores. A great feature of these and other modern single shots is that you don't have to go chasing brass, you can use any bullet style and not have to worry about them functioning in a magazine, you can play with cartilage OAL and not worry about feeding issues. They make the best platform for wildcats. They are a reloader and wildcatter's dream.

You'll also get some of your best accuracy for the buck with single shots from NEF and the old H&R single shots. I expect Henrys new offering will be similar.

Finally, I grew up in the one shot, one kill, philosophy hunting era. This was almost sacred to my mentors and it was drummed into me, constantly. No gun better exemplifies this sporting ethic than the classic single shot rifle.

Nothing at all against black guns, but I think it's kind of sad that some of the younger generation won't experience all this. Try one of those new Henrys. You might just fall in love with single shots the way many of us have.
4 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:42 am

very thoughtful and interesting comments .... I'm old school enough and old school enough to fully agree that in hunting the importance of the first shot cannot be over stated .... the first firearm I bought was a H&R Topper 12 ga .... won a bunch of turkey shoots with it .... other than a black powder Hawken, I've never owned a single shot rifle .... as far as pistols go, I've never owned a single shot .... guess that's why I asked the question about the attraction .... its most certainly a matter of personal preference and for those who like them, I'm happy Henry has moved into that market
2 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:48 am

The weight and the 'style' are things that I like about some single shot rifles.

If I don't LIKE the way something looks in a firearm or the style of the gun... I don't buy it now as I did not buy some in the past. If it does not fit me when I hold it - I don't buy it. When I used to shoot many handguns in various calibers, styles and sizes, past tense, I was super picky about how they worked for ME.

I do the same thing with specific rifles now only I have more things that I have to consider in a rifle and one of them is the WEIGHT of the gun.

I think that single shot shooting is fun too.

The Weight of a firearm is something that is Very Important to me now due to my arthritis and old accident issues that come and go.

The price of the rifle or any other firearm would NOT be my first consideration now and it was not when I first got into buying my own firearms back in the late 90's and on. And I am talking about famous brand names, specific models and quality made firearms. I am not talking about some super expensive collectible gun. I am not and never was a 'collector' and if I own something it gets used and it does not sit in a safe/cabinet collecting dust. I am not knocking collectors and only explaining where I am coming from. My late husband and my MT husband thought/think as I do when it comes to firearms and STUFF in general.

My husband and I look forward to seeing and holding the HENRY single shot rifle and the HENRY .410 shotgun in our local stores.

My husband and I enjoyed shooting our former Made by Savage Arms 'Stevens Favorite' 22lr SINGLE SHOT rifle in the past. We sold that with many other firearms over the years.

I enjoy shooting the CZ 455 Lux rifle (22lr) which came with a 5 round magazine. I have an extra single shot magazine and put it in that rifle and shoot it that way more than the 5 round one. I shoot the CZ 452 Scout (22lr) and that came as a single shot rifle but we got an extra 5 round magazine for that rifle.

I shoot the Savage Rascal single shot rifle which is VERY light weight.

My husband shoots the Scout more than I do and some famous, kind of expensive, Ruger 22lr bolt action rifle IF and when he shoots a RF gun. He shoots CF firearms much, much more!

I shoot the CZ 455 Lux and the Savage Rascal more than he does.

So I am happy to hear that HENRY is going to make these single action rifles and the shotgun too.

I agree with many posters here and some of them took the words out of my mouth when it came to their opinions about single shot rifles.

Cate
PS: I love the looks of the old SHARP rifles too.
4 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:00 pm

My husband and I LIKE this single shot shotgun very much from what it looks like online. We just looked at the HENRY website again.

I really want to see this ONE in the store, see how it feels when I hold it and how easily it opens in my hands.

https://www.henryrifles.com/shotgun/sin ... t-shotgun/

Steel and walnut and in a .410.

My husband already has a sweet Remington 870 Marine Magnum shotgun in a 12gauge. He does not shoot it that often but it DOES get shot and used. (I do not shoot it.) He plans on keeping that 12 gauge shotgun until he can no longer shoot it. We are in our 60's.

So if we get a .410 shotgun - it will be the second shotgun in our house. He sold his other shotguns in various gauges, brands and styles long, long before I knew him. He sold his shotgun reloading gear many years ago too. He has NO plans on reloading for shotguns again. He will buy that .410 ammunition.

We don't need to buy any 22lr or 12 gauge ammunition.

He has enough reloading gear for his smaller amount of firearm calibers too.

45acp - Only one pistol caliber to load for now.

30-30
30-06
45-70

I would not be shocked if he eliminated one MORE firearm caliber in his life too!

Cate
0 x

Big Old Boy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Big Old Boy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:30 am

The brass 45/70 I don't think would be a fun gun to shoot with no recoil pad. I have a Ruger #1s in 45/70 it is my most favorite that I shoot but I reload and keep the recoil to a minimum yet my loads will still kill deer dead as dead can be. To me the most enjoyment from shooting is shooting your own loads that are tailored to you your gun and what your using it for. I have loads my ten year old grandson likes to shoot that recoil like a 410 and will still kill big game.
1 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 am

I'm definitely considering the 45-70 just to play around with the round at a reasonable cost. IF in fact I do love the round as much as I'm told, I may spring for the AW version. If not, I'm out a few hundred bucks and it's a range toy to pull out every so often.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:07 pm

JCN wrote:I'm definitely considering the 45-70 just to play around with the round at a reasonable cost. IF in fact I do love the round as much as I'm told, I may spring for the AW version. If not, I'm out a few hundred bucks and it's a range toy to pull out every so often.
if you do buy one of the 45-70 single shots, I'll really be interested in your impression of the felt recoil with full power ammo .... the single shot weighs about a half pound less than the all weather version .... it will be interesting to hear how much difference it makes
0 x