Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is Cost The Main Attraction

Henry's new single shots
huntlee
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Is Cost The Main Attraction

Post by huntlee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Nostalgia, the challenge and simplicity is what gets me to own a singleshot. Price is a plus also! My father was an avid reloader and when he wanted to try a new cartridge, he would pick up a single shot in that cartridge so he would not have too much invested in the rifle!
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 am

huntlee wrote:Nostalgia, the challenge and simplicity is what gets me to own a singleshot. Price is a plus also! My father was an avid reloader and when he wanted to try a new cartridge, he would pick up a single shot in that cartridge so he would not have too much invested in the rifle!
huntlee, I don't think you've ever been welcomed to the forum, so let me do it now. Welcome from CT.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm

For me, it's partly nostalgia - a H&R 30/30 Topper was my first centerfire rifle at age 12 - and I'm just not a lever gun guy. I shoot bolt actions or single shots. I did have a Marlin 45-70, which through some horse trading I converted into a CZ FS 9.3 x 62, which is more my thing. Still, I did like that ol' cartridge, so when Henry announced the new single shot rifle, made in Rice Lake, WI, just 45 miles away, I had to have one (it's ordered and I'm impatiently waiting). I'm sticking to standard loads of around 300 gr, so recoil won't be any worse than shooting 3" steel through my duck gun, and I'll mostly be hunting with it as my short and handy "go into the brush to move deer past my standers" rifle. No need for a .270 with a 3 X 9 scope to do that ;) .
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:50 pm

I too am a 45-70 fan and I'm sure looking forward to your use and range reports .... when it arrives, please make sure to check into our How Many ? thread where you can add it to our community total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 030#p39030
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Wed May 03, 2017 7:38 am

I have only owned one center fire single shot and that was a Contender pistol with a .44 Mag barrel. But, I am drawn to single shot center fire rifles for the same reasons as a number of you have already mentioned. I just don't know why I have never owned one. I really would be interested in one for shooting off a bench and for hunting. As NCG said, so easy to retrieve the brass for hand loading.

I am particularly interested in the Henry Single Shot in .44 Mag due to the 1 in 20" twist rate of the barrel. It should work great with heavy cast bullets and slow velocities as well. As hickok45 says, a .44 Mag loaded with 300 or heavier cast bullets is a poor man's 45-70 ;)
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 03, 2017 9:53 am

As someone who has been expanding her single shot collection, of late, let me say that cost may be a benefit on some single shot rifles. Even the break open TCs are pricey. From the looks of the Henry and its features, I would definitely put it in the bargain category, though. Should be a good seller for Henry. Can't wait to see one.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:16 am

Yes, I too think they look really good for the price. I wasn't a fan of the recent H&R/New England plastic or laminate stocked Handirifles, even the higher end models like the Buffalo Classic were sorta rough. Henry shows a nicely finished, checkered Walnut version of the classic break action hammer gun, made like they were in the days when single shots were a viable option to repeaters. As their copy says, they're not trying to make them cheap. Still, in the scheme of things, they're inexpensive compared to other similarly finished single shots (albeit most of those have more sophisticated actions). Knowing how Henry finishes their other rifles, I had no hesitation in ordering one sight unseen.
0 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:41 pm

I hope they sell really well and more calibers are added in the future. Other than the .223, none of the other calibers are of much interest to me, and the .223 isn't really of overwhelming interest. A .357 or .30-30 would definitely spark more interest from me. A .38-55 might be nice too.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

Matureshooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Matureshooter » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 am

With me the attraction is getting down to basics, making every shot count. I shoot a Sharps 45-70, 32" barrel. To me this is what shooting is all about, I can reach out and touch most anything I want to at ranges that really put these old eyes to the test. I believe that if you have just one shot, you will take greater care in your hunt/stalk, you will make sure that you have a shot that you know you can make, resulting in less wounded and suffering animals. I guess one of the reasons I think like that is my background. As a youngster I hunted with a single shot Stevens .22 and while win Vietnam I was a sniper. One shot just makes more sense to me, more challenge, more fun.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 pm

A lot of good points here, but one that hasn't been brought up is that the single shot is the perfect first gun for for a youngster. First, they have one round to fire, then they must eject and reload to fire. A great time to talk about the shot they took, correct any mistakes, and talk about the shot they will take next. I remember sitting at my grandfather's side, learning to shoot that bolt action 22; and watching the number of shots left in the loading block on the bench beside me slowly drain away. :(

There was always tomorrow, but when you are a kid, tomorrow is SO far away. :shock: I made my shots count. :)
My kids did the same. Load a semi auto with 21 rounds, and sooner or later they will want to try rapid fire. More often sooner... than later. :roll:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.