Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is Cost The Main Attraction

Henry's new single shots
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Is Cost The Main Attraction

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:16 pm

the cost of a Henry single shot rifle is about half of their corresponding lever action and I can see that as a definite consideration .... there has to be more than that in motivating a person to purchase a single shot rifle .... just curious, for those who use a single shot rifle, what's the main attraction :?:
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Is Cost The Main Attraction

Post by Henry88 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:59 pm

One big consideration I think would be weight. A couple of pounds on your shoulder all day makes a difference...............
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:06 pm

weight can most certainly be a positive or negative .... Henry's single shot 75-70 list to weigh 6.83 lbs. .... H010CC list to weigh 8.10 lbs. .... knowing how ours kicks with full power loads, the single shot has to kick like a mule on steroids ... :shock:
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:43 pm

JEBar wrote:weight can most certainly be a positive or negative .... Henry's single shot 75-70 list to weigh 6.83 lbs. .... H010CC list to weigh 8.10 lbs. .... knowing how ours kicks with full power loads, the single shot has to kick like a mule on steroids ... :shock:
Honestly, JEBar, if you GAVE me a 45-70 I wouldn't carry it or shoot it...............
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 am

Henry88 wrote:Honestly, JEBar, if you GAVE me a 45-70 I wouldn't carry it or shoot it...............
understood ... my days of walking very far while hunting have passed into memory .... however, given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure I still can sit in a blind or stand and hunt all day long .. :D .. the recoil of our Henry 45-70 firing Cowboy Action level ammo isn't bad at all .... I can still fire bunches at a session .... high power big game hunting ammo is a very different matter and can most certainly deliver a pretty fair punch .... the good news is, when big game hunting I seldom fire more than a round or two .... in thinking back, when pulling the trigger with a deer, black bear, or boar in the cross hairs I don't recall ever feeling the recoil or hearing the muzzle blast .. ;) .. I do know that at its strongest our 45-70 has considerably less felt recoil than our 300 WBY Magnum
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:16 am

Cost and weight could be a factor for buying the single shot over the lever action. For some it may be the challenge to single shot hunting and making a good first shot.
4 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:15 am

bandit1250 wrote:Cost and weight could be a factor for buying the single shot over the lever action. For some it may be the challenge to single shot hunting and making a good first shot.
I'm challenged in many ways but not in that one .. :lol: .. actually, I can see that for some folks 8-)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:23 pm

As someone who shoots single shot pistols and rifles a lot, there are advantages to going single shot that are not obvious to a lot of folks. If you reload, going single shot allows you to play with cartridge OAL and not have to worry about feeding issues as you sometimes must in a lever gun. Also, going single shot allows you to use spire pointed bullets that you cannot use in a lever gun. There's also no chasing of brass, either. That's a very nice feature.

For hunting, really, how many times do you actually need a fast follow up shot? Reloading is a single shot does not take all that long, anyway. No worries about emptying a magazine at the end of the day, either, and talk about easy to check to see if the gun is loaded or unloaded. Best of all you give up nothing with accuracy with a single shot. All in all, single shots are very practical hunting guns.

Great range guns, too. Going single shot will slow down you ammo consumption. Nothing simpler and easier to clean than a break open single shot, either.
6 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Personally I'm drooling over the single shots. If the 45/70 brass had been out last year I would have bought that instead of my lever action 45/70. I can shoot more than enough 45/70 rds per range session with a single shot! :lol:

I'm wanting both a 45/70 and a 44 mag in SS brass. Cost just makes it easier to do both.

To me I just like the slow deliberate pace of shooting a single shot at the range. I guess it's similar to the loading process with black powder. I think slowing everything down so that each step from loading to firing becomes "make each one count" is a great way to become a better shooter. :D

Go shoot a Sharps falling block. If that doesn't get your juices flowing for a single shot nothing will.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:48 pm

North Country Gal wrote:As someone who shoots single shot pistols and rifles a lot, there are advantages to going single shot that are not obvious to a lot of folks. If you reload, going single shot allows you to play with cartridge OAL and not have to worry about feeding issues as you sometimes must in a lever gun. Also, going single shot allows you to use spire pointed bullets that you cannot use in a lever gun. There's also no chasing of brass, either. That's a very nice feature.

For hunting, really, how many times do you actually need a fast follow up shot? Reloading is a single shot does not take all that long, anyway. No worries about emptying a magazine at the end of the day, either, and talk about easy to check to see if the gun is loaded or unloaded. Best of all you give up nothing with accuracy with a single shot. All in all, single shots are very practical hunting guns.

Great range guns, too. Going single shot will slow down you ammo consumption. Nothing simpler and easier to clean than a break open single shot, either.

All excellent points.

It would be a range toy for me so cost is certainly a benefit.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag