JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Is Cost The Main Attraction

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 pm

Dapull wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 pm
First time commenting on this site.

Purchasing a Henry single shot in 223 let me kill two birds with 1 stone.

first, welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... looking forward to following your progress as you get better acquainted with your Henry single shot .... do hope you will feel free to read and post often .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 97#p100697
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us.
Dapull wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 pm
Hello all. First time commenting on this site.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:32 pm

Glad you joined us and welcome to the forum. I sure do like my single shot just a fun gun to shoot.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Welcome Aboard! That sounds like pretty good shooting right out the gate. Soon, you'll really be putting 'em in there.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone monitoring this thread has purchased one of the "Brass" Single-Shots? It's "BrassLite," as I understand it, and I have no experience with it. I like my full-on brass 45 Colt, but don't know that I'd want or need another one. The BrassLite seems like a low maintenance version, but haven't seen one in person.

Any comments/thoughts?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Bear-of-Grayling
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bear-of-Grayling » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:55 am

The simplistic nature of a single shot is the appeal to me. It all started over 50 years ago, when I received my first pump up Benjamin single shot pellet rifle. I can be at a range for hours talking and enjoying other shooters, make 3 great shots on a target and leave a very happy camper. Single shots are very accurate rifles, some being the most accurate guns in the world. They are also the most reliable rifles. Take a lever action or even a bolt action hunting in extremely bitter cold weather, stand frozen all day to get a good bead on the monster buck only to find out the bolt is frozen up. Happens all the time. Single shots are the safest rifles to hunt with as well. Walking around with my dad and brothers trying to kick out a rabbit or pheasant we never had to worry about a accidental discharge as we carried the rifle with the action open cradled in one arm. Out pops a rabbit and with a single motion the barrel is closed, hammer cocked and BANG. The single is also the easiest to dismantle to learn or teach how to do a trigger tune. Nothing easier to clean when getting home from a hunt or range. It all started with the single shot. It’s not about the money at all. Some singles are the most expensive rifles made. Guns are just tools. Just because I own several nailers, doesn’t mean I’ll never need a hammer. Thank you. God Bless.
6 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:31 am

It's "BrassLite," as I understand it,
The following is from the Henry website in the Single Shot section.
and a highly polished finish on hardened brass frames
Solid brass (or technically Gunmetal) Just like our BBB rifles.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:50 am

JEBar wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:16 pm
the cost of a Henry single shot rifle is about half of their corresponding lever action and I can see that as a definite consideration .... there has to be more than that in motivating a person to purchase a single shot rifle .... just curious, for those who use a single shot rifle, what's the main attraction :?:
Wow, this one was resurrected wasn't it? Anyway, my Ruger No. 1 rifle in 25-06 was my main hunting rifle for years. I never needed a follow up shot when hunting for deer. I always took a couple of extra rounds with me in case I got lucky and saw something on the way back to the bunkhouse. I would feel comfortable hunting with a single shot. I load a round at a time anyway at the range. It forces me to take my time on every shot. Just a quirk of mine. The only rifles I don't do that with is the .22's, T-Bolt and 10-22, and the Radical Firearms .223.

Jake
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:18 pm

My grand dad taught me to shoot with a single shot. And from there hunted varmints on his property. Often had more than one I could have shot but for the single shot rifle. Hence, never been a fan of the single shot rifles.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234