Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single Shot Rifle Calibers.....

Henry's new single shots
JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Single Shot Rifle Calibers.....

Post by JCN » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Glad you guys posted those links. Especially the pricing and pics from JS Firearms.

I can't imagine not buying a single shot at those prices! I have no use for a single shot anything but not a bad way to pic up a new caliber like 45-70 or 308. Pretty cool.

I really hope they come out with a side by side next year. That would be awesome. Especially with the brass receiver!!
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:51 pm

I would like to see a .22WMR/.410 over and under.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 am

I really wish ya'll hadn't posted the pics and prices on these. I'm not sure my budget can stand buying another Henry next year. If I could pick up a nice Henry in .308 for under $350 locally, I would probably have it this afternoon.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:38 pm

What is the reasoning behind a single shot centrefire rifle? I can understand single shot .22 target rifles, but I don't see any benefit in higher calibers.

What am I missing here? :? ;)
0 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:34 pm

They are fun to shoot.

Additionally, in some states, there is a part of deer (and perhaps other quarry) season that is set aside for hunters using single shot rifles. Where I live, this is referred to as a primitive weapon season. I think the only caliber offered by Henry that would qualify here for that is the 45-70, but I could be mistake on that.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Les wrote:What is the reasoning behind a single shot centrefire rifle? I can understand single shot .22 target rifles, but I don't see any benefit in higher calibers.

What am I missing here? :? ;)
Hey, Les. I don't know if this is a reason or not "behind a single shot centrefire rifle." It may be only one of any number of reasons. And as far as shotguns, I think that NCG provided some historical perspective to a single-shot:
North Country Gal wrote:Used to be a time when so many of us started out with one and every farm and cabin had one handy.
When I did both hunting and tactical training with my son-in-law a few years ago, he gave me a piece of his "shooting wisdom" that has stuck with me. I use it every time I go to the range. He always reminded me that "the first shot is the only one that really counts." Makes sense to me.
0 x

~Пока~

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:06 pm

A quality rifle with a walnut stock that a lot of people can afford.
Plus H.R.A. Customer Service.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks, PT7.

In addition there is a long and venerated tradition of the single shot in American gun lore, both for target and hunting and it shows up in some famous movies. Who can forget that monster Sharps rifle that Quigley used? That movie spawned a rush on Sharps clones that lives to this day. Jeremiah Johnson did the same for black powder Hawkens, TV shows featuring Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett and so many more kept interest alive in Kentucky style rifles. The list goes on.

All the long range target guns in the 1800s were the classic single shots and those were the inspiration for Bill Ruger's No. 1.

Me, I shoot TC Contenders and Encores. A great feature of these and other modern single shots is that you don't have to go chasing brass, you can use any bullet style and not have to worry about them functioning in a magazine, you can play with cartilage OAL and not worry about feeding issues. They make the best platform for wildcats. They are a reloader and wildcatter's dream.

You'll also get some of your best accuracy for the buck with single shots from NEF and the old H&R single shots. I expect Henrys new offering will be similar.

Finally, I grew up in the one shot, one kill, philosophy hunting era. This was almost sacred to my mentors and it was drummed into me, constantly. No gun better exemplifies this sporting ethic than the classic single shot rifle.

Nothing at all against black guns, but I think it's kind of sad that some of the younger generation won't experience all this. Try one of those new Henrys. You might just fall in love with single shots the way many of us have.
4 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Thanks, PT7.

In addition there is a long and venerated tradition of the single shot in American gun lore, both for target and hunting and it shows up in some famous movies. Who can forget that monster Sharps rifle that Quigley used? That movie spawned a rush on Sharps clones that lives to this day. Jeremiah Johnson did the same for black powder Hawkens, TV shows featuring Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett and so many more kept interest alive in Kentucky style rifles. The list goes on.

All the long range target guns in the 1800s were the classic single shots and those were the inspiration for Bill Ruger's No. 1.

Me, I shoot TC Contenders and Encores. A great feature of these and other modern single shots is that you don't have to go chasing brass, you can use any bullet style and not have to worry about them functioning in a magazine, you can play with cartilage OAL and not worry about feeding issues. They make the best platform for wildcats. They are a reloader and wildcatter's dream.

You'll also get some of your best accuracy for the buck with single shots from NEF and the old H&R single shots. I expect Henrys new offering will be similar.

Finally, I grew up in the one shot, one kill, philosophy hunting era. This was almost sacred to my mentors and it was drummed into me, constantly. No gun better exemplifies this sporting ethic than the classic single shot rifle.

Nothing at all against black guns, but I think it's kind of sad that some of the younger generation won't experience all this. Try one of those new Henrys. You might just fall in love with single shots the way many of us have.
Great "gun lore," NCG...all stated enthusiastically well. Thanks!
All the single-shot brands you mentioned bring us some pretty darn good long guns today. I've been looking at single-shots for a while now, especially after shooting a really nice 20-gauge H&R single-shot my son-in-law has (I believe it was an older slug hunter model). Nothing like the simplicity, and measured fun, of loading that s/g one slug shell at a time, and sending it downrange where it needs to go!

But when Henry made its announcement on the 20-gauge, my "hunt" was over. I'm really looking forward to the 2017 release and see what Henry has done going into the s/g market.....exciting stuff from a great company! :)
0 x

~Пока~

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 pm

Single shot rifles and shotguns also help to conserve ammunition. You can't expend rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.
1 x
H006M, H015-223