Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Sight ?

Henry's new single shots
Burch
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Skinner Sight ?

Post by Burch » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 pm

Is anyone using the original front brass bead sight with a Skinner peep on there 45-70. I ordered a taller front sight with my peep but dang this thing is way up there.
Burch
0 x

Ceapea
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Skinner Sight ?

Post by Ceapea » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:21 am

Not a Skinner, and not a 45-70 (a 44 mag), but I am using the original Henry bead front with a Williams WGRS sight. It took a bit of experimenting, I tried several different height front sights that I had on hand. After pretty extensive testing, I settled on the original front sight in a Williams .250” tall sight adapter/extension. I actually did a fair amount of measuring, to determine the height differences of the factory rear and the WGRS. Using online sight calculation sites, I was able to get “in the ballpark”, close. Enough to try different loads at my preferred range. From there, I fine tuned my front height. I was lucky to have several sight parts available. I just had to put together the right combo.
Good luck.
0 x
It's always the operator, never the machine!
AKA: Know more misses!

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Skinner Sight ?

Post by Greyhawk » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:50 pm

Burch wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 pm
Is anyone using the original front brass bead sight with a Skinner peep on there 45-70. I ordered a taller front sight with my peep but dang this thing is way up there.
Burch
I use a skinner peep on my Marlin 45-70. the front sight was missing when I bought the rifle so I installed skinners recommended front brass sight and I just filed it down until I liked the height set up with my rear sight. takes a little patience but it was worth it.
0 x