Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My HO15-308 is home

Henry's new single shots
slofyr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: My HO15-308 is home

Post by slofyr » Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:... please explain your statement a bit more clearly......
It was explained clearly enough to help a gunsmith improve the H015 hammer and trigger pull.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 pm

I agree that the rebounding hammer mechanism leads to the stout hammer pull (I'd probably blame the lawyers for that, too ;) ), but my 45-70 has a surprisingly good trigger, well under the weight of the rifle, and I think the just acquired .243 is close to that, too; I can't really say, having not fired it yet (I'm not a fan of dry firing with out snap caps). So the trigger doesn't have to be that heavy, and Henry should be able to get it down to a decent pull weight.
0 x

slofyr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by slofyr » Thu May 10, 2018 6:33 pm

“Stout” is an understatement. :D

These rifles have a simple sear and notch trigger design. Pull resistance is influenced by several factors: hammer spring tension, the amount of sear overlap which determines trigger travel before the break, the cut angle of the notch and its surface finish. If the notch engagement is short and the angle of cut is shallow, trigger pull can feel reasonably light even with a strong hammer spring. My H015, fortunately, has both so the factory pull is acceptable. The standard trigger-job procedure of stoning the notch and reducing overlap was not necessary. Even with the OEM hammer springs, the trigger can be made better if the sear/notch area is cleaned of the factory goop and re-lubed with moly grease. Larry’s Guns sells a product called "NECO MOLY-SLIDE” which makes an excellent sear lube if mixed 50/50 with a sticky base like automotive motor honey [Power Punch]. With the H015, you will still need to smooth the rough surface where the trigger return spring slides, as previously mentioned.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm

while I have no problem using tools and, under most circumstances, my first inclination is to try and fix things .... when it comes to firearms, once you get beyond changing grips on a revolver or possibly installing a spring kit, I simply will not work them .... in January we turned our CCH 45-70 and BBS 44 Mag over to a gunsmith for him to work on their trigger pulls .... based on his measurements, the OEM trigger pull on our 44 measured 6.5 lbs and our 45-70 measured 9.8 lbs .... fine adjustments to a Henry trigger pull require precision honing that is really as much art as science .... we set as a target trigger pull 3 lbs .... when I picked them up the 45-70's trigger pull measured 3.1 lbs and the 44 Mag measured 2.9 lbs .... having fired them both, his work has really paid off .... I can't fault Henry for producing rifles with heavy trigger pulls ... as others have mentioned, lawyers are involved
0 x

brianpa
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brianpa » Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Nice looking rifle. I just picked my 44 up and it is very nice to.
0 x
H015-44,H009G

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:13 pm

JEBar wrote:while I have no problem using tools and, under most circumstances, my first inclination is to try and fix things .... when it comes to firearms, once you get beyond changing grips on a revolver or possibly installing a spring kit, I simply will not work them .... in January we turned our CCH 45-70 and BBS 44 Mag over to a gunsmith for him to work on their trigger pulls .... based on his measurements, the OEM trigger pull on our 44 measured 6.5 lbs and our 45-70 measured 9.8 lbs .... fine adjustments to a Henry trigger pull require precision honing that is really as much art as science .... we set as a target trigger pull 3 lbs .... when I picked them up the 45-70's trigger pull measured 3.1 lbs and the 44 Mag measured 2.9 lbs .... having fired them both, his work has really paid off .... I can't fault Henry for producing rifles with heavy trigger pulls ... as others have mentioned, lawyers are involved
Lawyers or not AFAIAC.. I should not have to resort to having a Smith do a trigger job on this brand new rifle. That's just totally unacceptable to have to do While I do appreciate all of the reasons given by everyone here, make no mistake about that, I will wait for Henry to fix this rifle first, and then I will decide wither to try to fix it myself or get my money back for it..

It's a shame that this flaw isn't more widely known, because if I had known about it sooner then I wouldn't have went this route..

Lots to chew on for now

Mac
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 pm

if not the best option, sending it back to Henry is most certainly a viable option .... if it is out of spec and it sure sounds like it is, they will take care of it .... we could have sent ours back but the decision to pay to have a gunsmith work on ours was based on wanting a specific trigger pull
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:18 am

Good point, JEBar. Some companies will reduce a trigger pull weight only to a specific point, i.e., nominally the weight of the gun, for CZ shotguns. If you want a lower specific weight, you're usually on your own. As I've mentioned, none of the 3 Henry rifles I own have trigger pull weights nearly as high as the gun weight, I'd estimate they're in the 4 lbs range, so my small sample makes me think Henry will correct an excessive trigger pull down to a reasonable weight. I'm not expecting a trigger like you'd find on a European kipplauff on a $370.00 Henry, though ;) .
0 x

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Well my 308 is on the way back to Henry... Hopefully they will fix it and get it back to me asap...

Mac
2 x

Mac11700
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Mac11700 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:16 pm

I should have my 308 back tomorrow.. I could have had it this afternoon, but I could not be there to sign for it :cry:

Fingers crossed

Mac
2 x