Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

looked at single 20ga &410

Henry's new shotguns
dad
Tenderfoot
United States of America

looked at single 20ga &410

Post by dad » Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Finally got to look down the barrel of both and the comb is to high for me! Instead of looking down the barrel I'm looking up! I'm disappointed to say the least. I'm bummed for sure had the money saved up and the hammer was very hard to pull back, so with my arthritis its a no go.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: looked at single 20ga &410

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:24 am

For whatever it's worth, I handled a brass receiver shotgun (and brass .45-70 rifle), and found the comb too low for me - I was looking below the barrel, pretty much at the hammer. I believe that the brass receiver configuration stock has more drop, and, since the shotguns and rifles share components, it makes sense that they're both different. I was kinda hankering for a brass .410. I need to check out a steel frame version, after seeing your report. The hammer/trigger spring issue is an easy fix, though.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am

I guess I'm not following the OP's issue. A high comb would lead to a high cheek-weld, which would tend to have one looking down on the barrel, no? I have recently purchased a 20 ga. Steel SS (previously unreported, too many balls in the air!), and the comb/barrel relationship seems okay to me.

Everybody's got different body parts, though, so if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I was just thrown by the comment.

Carry on, nothing to see here.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am

Speaking of that drop in the comb on some of the brass Henry models, that style of stock actually goes way back into the muzzleloading era and ran well into the black powder cartridge era. At various times in gun history, the preferred shooting form was with a high and straight neck, the face barely touching the stock, if at all. You did not lower the head, at all, to rest on the stock. The idea was for the sights to come to eye level without any bending of the head and neck. Very different than the more contemporary cheek weld style of shooting we have, today. Something to keep in mind if you want to use a cheek weld style of shooting on some of these brass Henrys.
1 x

dad
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dad » Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 pm

The only thing I know is I'm not looking down the barrel on a level plan. I'm only seeing the front bead sight and it looks like I'm looking up hill. I don't think my shooting will be very good. I guess my face is different than others. I'm just bummed thats all. I could fix the hammer to be easier, but I don't think I can fix the stock inexpensive. Sorry guys and gails I think at this time I'm going to pass. Just disappointed thats all.
0 x

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:21 pm

I've experienced the same thing. The comb needs to drop more to sight down the barrel better. High combs are suited to optics on top, and not so much for iron sights or a brass bead down the barrel.
0 x

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PBSnooker » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:51 pm

I'll resurrect an old thread. I am not the average shotgun fit. I need more drop in the heel, maybe my neck and arms are too long. The brass versions do offer more drop than the black versions. I have both in 410 and a black receiver in 20ga (as well as a 410 lever, but that is a different animal). For a better fit with the standard black models, I use a slip on butt pad to extend the LOP and drop. There are no stock shims available that i know off.
0 x