Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Choke troubles

Henry's new shotguns
Richard677
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Choke troubles

Post by Richard677 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Just received my Henry .410 brass single shot shotgun after a couple of months of wait time. While waiting I bought 2 extra choke tubes from the Henry store. I picked up my shotgun Friday and was cleaning it this morning. In doing so I wanted to check the fit of the 2 extra chokes from the Henry store. They would not fit! They are marked, "HENRY" and "MOD" and "CYL." and came in clear tubes marked Briley. I checked the factory installed "FULL" choke and it screws in and out fine, locks up nice and tight and is also marked the same way, "HENRY" and "FULL". I pull out the receipt from the Henry Store and contact Henry with my problem the factory choke fits fine the 2 spares not at all. I get a call from Henry customer service stating my threads have been drilled wrong in the end of the barrel and they want the gun back for re-threading. Wait a minute: what happens to the choke I already have that fits fine? Re-threading will change all that plus I'm not too hip on re-threading a barrel on top off one already threaded due to thinness concerns, etc. Henry CS says I may have been sold Remington RemChoke choke tubes or I have wrong Browning Invector choke tubes or in fact I have one of the newer shotguns that has the wrong barrel threads all together. Henry CS has been very nice trying to help me with a warranty issue and sending me shipping labels, etc. but this gun is brand new, never been shot and I honestly don't know what kind of choke tube I have or what is the story on the barrel threads. I have a Remington Model 870 pump .410 with various chokes for it and they do not fit the Henry. I have a Browning Invector choke tube wrench in .410 and it fits the factory FULL choke AND the 2 after market chokes but the 2 chokes from the Henry store absolutely do not fit, will not insert correctly nor will they tighten. I'm awaiting word back from Henry CS as to how I am to proceed next but I would like to hear back from folks here on the Henry forum and get their thoughts on what others think is the problem with my chokes and this idea of sending my shotgun back to the factory for re-threading. I apologize for the long message but I know of no other way to explain it other than lay out all that has happened up to this point. Your advice and comments would be greatly appreciated and I thank you. Richard.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Choke troubles

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:56 pm

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... sorry to hear may probably need to return your 410 but the good news is, when you get it back it will be right .... my best suggestion would be to call Henry Customer Service and tell them about the choke tube issue .... I'd ask to include the two additional choke tubes and have them return your shotgun with 3 tubes that fit whatever configuration it is ... please take a look at our How Many ? thread and add yours to our community's total .... so far as I can remember, yours will be our first 410 single shot

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 868#p93868
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 pm

As JEBar suggested, let Henry know about all of the issues and make requests regarding the three chokes. They WILL make it right. Keep us posted, please.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Richard677
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Richard677 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Update for those who may be interested: Henry CS has insisted I return my brand new shotgun which I have done. Seems as though they are going to "chase" the existing barrel threads so that my factory full choke and my aftermarket Briley chokes bought from the Henry Store will all fit. You'll never convince me chasing the barrel threads will allow 3 chokes with differing threads will fit, can't be done. But on a positive note I received feedback from a very knowledgable person from Briley Chokes (Steve Power) who gave me a class on chokes and how threading barrels works that was very informative. Steve says once I get my shotgun back all 3 chokes should fit fine and tighten down snug and be removable as well. It appears that some shotguns at least the early ones were shipped with the wrong threading in their barrels and both Henry and the choke manufacturer are trying to get everything straight. I'll keep you posted as requested. Thanks Richard.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Richard677 wrote:I'll keep you posted as requested.
thanks and please do 8-)
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 pm

I'm sure they'll get it right, worst case scenario, they'll simply replace the barrel and send it back with three correct chokes. This is an odd problem, in a way, since .410 bore guns often have simply been fixed choke set to pattern at 25 (I think) yards. They don't call 'em idiot sticks for nothing ;) . And I want one just like yours :D .
0 x