Henry's new shotguns
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Got me a really good deal!!!

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am

rickhem wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:39 am
Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but it looks pretty interesting.

https://www.thexringusa.com/product-pag ... for-410-ga

I already have a loader for 12 gauge and plenty of the necessities for that, so loading for .410 would only see me buying wads. If you're a skeet shooter, or some other high volume consumer of .410 ammo, a dedicated reloading press is a much better idea, but for a lower volume consumer, it could be the ticket. I already have plenty of 7½, 8, and 9 size shot, and plenty of steel BBs for my BB guns (readily available too). I have 296 powder and Lil Gun for metallic reloading, so a few options covered there too. Seems like it offers options to make up some ammo for whatever purpose you can think of and then some. I have see some videos of people loading .357 and .40 cal bullets as slugs for their .410 with varied success.

For the cost of 4 boxes of ammo, and the ability to load either 2½ or 3" hulls, I'll just have to get one and see.
Does the 410 use a 209 primer or something specific for 410?
2 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Got me a really good deal!!!

Post by rickhem » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:57 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am
rickhem wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:39 am
Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but it looks pretty interesting.

https://www.thexringusa.com/product-pag ... for-410-ga

I already have a loader for 12 gauge and plenty of the necessities for that, so loading for .410 would only see me buying wads. If you're a skeet shooter, or some other high volume consumer of .410 ammo, a dedicated reloading press is a much better idea, but for a lower volume consumer, it could be the ticket. I already have plenty of 7½, 8, and 9 size shot, and plenty of steel BBs for my BB guns (readily available too). I have 296 powder and Lil Gun for metallic reloading, so a few options covered there too. Seems like it offers options to make up some ammo for whatever purpose you can think of and then some. I have see some videos of people loading .357 and .40 cal bullets as slugs for their .410 with varied success.

For the cost of 4 boxes of ammo, and the ability to load either 2½ or 3" hulls, I'll just have to get one and see.
Does the 410 use a 209 primer or something specific for 410?
Yes, a standard 209 primer.
I use 700X for 12 gauge, but apparently the suitable powders for .410 are the same that you'd use for full loads in the 44mag and 45LC loads, powders like H110, WW296, and Lil Gun.
I had a Texan .410 loader many years ago, it worked like the MEC loaders with a sliding powder/shot charge bar. I loaded using WW296 with that, and that being such a small grain spherical powder, I had a giant mess after every box of 25 that I'd load. It found it's way around the charge bar and was all over my bench. I couldn't deal with that and I ended up giving that loader to a guy and his son just starting out, they paid shipping.

For the small volume that I'd be wanting now, this survival loader thing looks pretty good.
0 x