Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Steel trigger shoes

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Steel trigger shoes

Post by bandit1250 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 am

I prefer wide serrated triggers to smooth narrow triggers on my rifles. Smooth and narrow is OK for shotguns but not my rifles. So I am always looking for the steel trigger shoes that were made by Flaig's in Pa. The Herter's steel shoes were an exact model of the Flaig's shoes and were more than likely made by Flaig's. I was lucky enough to get four a couple weeks back from a friend and fellow member and also from Pa. that I met here on the forum and have had the good fortune for him to visit my place twice since we met. We have a good time when he is here and he is a very good guy and I look forward to him coming back soon. Well any way they all fit rifles I have so that was good. Then the next day I find a shop with a box of the old shoes in new condition like the others I had got from my friend. I went through them and picked out 6 I knew would fit my rifles or could be made to fit with a little filing on them. I pretty well know what the radius should be to fit my Rem. and Savage and CZ 452's so that is the ones I look for. I probably have over 2 dozen or more of the steel shoes on my rifles now so if I find more later I will be passing the ones I buy to friends I shoot with that like them. Here is the last six I got and the other 4 are already on rifles. A few of the six here are now on rifles and have been modified to fit perfect. I need to see what rifles still need shoes before I do anything to the others. I may have posted this before but I think it was when the forum work may have been going on and it got lost.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Steel trigger shoes

Post by JEBar » Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 am

info appreciated .... I have used trigger shoes on several revolvers and a couple of rifles .... in all cases they improved the feel of firing them
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:01 am

Didn't know such an accessory existed. Not sure If I would feel the need or not, but nice to know they're available.
Looks like they mount with small set screws like are on my hammer extender. Would not want any movement!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 am

Like Mark, these are news to me. Would like to see them mounted and understand more about what makes your rifles better for having installed them. Seems like it would extend your reach, which I like the thought of, as I have bigger hands. Seems like a cool idea.

Just what I need, another universe of accessories to mess with!
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:39 am

Never used any of those bandit but I do know one thing I sure do like the target triggers they put on the S&W pistols. Hammers to.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Trigger shoes to me gives better trigger control and will make a trigger feel lighter in pull weight but actually is no lighter in pull. It will feel lighter in pull by having more bearing surface for your trigger finger to pull against. No lighter in pull just feels like it. They are deeply cut out in the back to fully go over the trigger sides and actually add a very small amount to the length to the pull because they are pretty thin with the deep cut out. No safety issues with a trigger shoe unless you install one that protrudes out side the trigger guard. I hardly own a rifle that don't have a wide trigger because of installing trigger shoes on all mine. A 700 Remington older style triggers are wide from the factory and didn't need one. CZ and Savages and my old Remington 500 series 22's all had skinny triggers but not any more. Good idea to carry a allen wrench in your wallet taped to an old credit card so if you have to pull your rifle out of the stock when away from home you can remove the shoe. Here is a good picture of a Flaig's steel shoe on my 452 FS. Hardly any one makes shoes any more. One or two places make the aluminum shoes which I stay away from. Usually steel ones will be for sale used.
Here you can see how well machined they are for a good fit and how deep they are made to go all the way on.
Another view of the inside depth cut in them for the trigger

1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am

Picked up some more steel trigger shoes yesterday and one is aluminum that got threw in the deal. Also got a hammer spur made by Williams for a 94 22 Winchester I don't really need but some one will need it.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:12 am

So that's your secret..........

Now I'll be able to shoot as good as you LOL
1 x