Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Large loop v. Standard lever

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Large loop v. Standard lever

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 pm

C'mon Mags, there is not much more travel when cycling the larger loop than the standard. Why not have the option to accommodate larger mitts or a gloved hand? Anyway....it is still a matter of preference, not trying to persuade or be antagonistic.
Just my thoughts and experiences.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:52 pm

I have pretty narrow hand/fingers. So, no problem with fitting regular gloved hands inside a standard loop. Now big puffy mitts might be a problem fitting inside, but then traditional mitts don't have a trigger finger, so shooting with those type of mitts would be a problem anyway. I've handled lever rifles with larger loops and that was my experience with them, too much room from the back of the fingers to the loop bottom.
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 pm
C'mon Mags, there is not much more travel when cycling the larger loop than the standard. Why not have the option to accommodate larger mitts or a gloved hand? Anyway....it is still a matter of preference, not trying to persuade or be antagonistic.
Just my thoughts and experiences.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:42 pm

Casper wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:48 pm
Redthies wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:17 am
I’m a large loop guy through and through, but I think I’d leave that one as is. It just looks “right” as is. I’d say what you need to do, is buy a Small Game Carbine. That way you get the large loop in a package deal, and in that configuration, it also looks right!
That is a nice looking rifle right there along with beautiful wood!!!!! Love that wood.... :)

Rick
Thanks Rick. I didn’t plant the tree, but I did remove the overbearing polyurethane that Henry used to take any character out of the wood!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Redthies wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:17 am
I’m a large loop guy through and through, but I think I’d leave that one as is. It just looks “right” as is. I’d say what you need to do, is buy a Small Game Carbine. That way you get the large loop in a package deal, and in that configuration, it also looks right!
Redthies wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:42 pm
I didn’t plant the tree, but I did remove the overbearing polyurethane that Henry used to take any character out of the wood!
good looking carbine indeed .... really do like the wood ... as to the lever, I find Henry's large loop performs better for me .... that is specially true in cold weather when wearing gloves .... while looks are important, prefer function over form
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 pm

I also like the large loop of Henrys. It just fits my hand better
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Personally! I put the large loop on my BBS 357 immediately, it came on my SGC. WHY? What, if any difference is there regarding the cycling of a carbine vs rifle?
Is the regular loop just nostalgia...dunno just my .02. Large loop for me hands down...( no pun intended )☺
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry