Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wheeler Professional Laser Bore Sighter with Magnetic Connection

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Wheeler Professional Laser Bore Sighter with Magnetic Connection

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Maybe when outdoors, in sunlight at longer distances. I think red indoors would be enough. My red bore sight worked great outdoors at greater than 50yds as long as the target itself was in the shade.
JEBar wrote:info appreciated .... from a practical standpoint, would the performance of the green laser justify the price increase in a bore sighter :?:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Mags wrote:Maybe when outdoors, in sunlight at longer distances. I think red indoors would be enough. My red bore sight worked great outdoors at greater than 50yds as long as the target itself was in the shade.
good to know .... info appreciated
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:58 pm

ever have something you talk yourself into and then out of buying over and over again .. :?: .. for me ordering a Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter has become just that .... in the last couple of weeks I've filled out the order form a half dozen times, only to change my mind a little while later .... each time I'd get to reading about them, it seemed like I'd read several very positive reviews .. :) .. only to happen on one or two equally negative ones .. :cry: .. OH well, I just placed an order .. 8-) .. if I'd of pondered doing so a few minutes longer, I'd most likely have talked myself out of it again .. :roll: .. Amazon says it will get here on Sunday, I have 5 rifles and one revolver waiting to use it on .... looking forward to taking them to a local range next week .. 8-)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:20 pm

ordered on Friday the 5th, delivered on Sunday the 7th .... Amazon done did good on this one .. ;) .. the mount of our Aimpoint on our Ruger Redhawk worked loose during our recent trip to Texas .... after the Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter arrived I totally removed the Aimpoint .... cleaned the underside of the Aimpoint and the rail on the Ruger .... moved the Aimpoint back one notch and reinstalled it .... turned the Wheeler on and, as advertised, the green laser is very bright .... turned the Aimpoint on .... its red dot was below and left of the green dot .... removed the adjuster caps and, with the benefit of have the Redhawk on a solid rest, moved the red dot to where it was directly on the green dot ... the color actually turned yellow .. :D .. very quick, efficient operation .... the Redhawk is now ready for a trip to a range fine tune the scope .... having recently remounted scopes on 4 of our rifles, I'm looking forward to using the Wheeler to help quickly resight them
Attachments
190407 003 Wheeler Laser Sight 001.jpg
190407 003 Wheeler Laser Sight 001.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
190407 002 Wheeler Laser Sight 001a.jpg
190407 002 Wheeler Laser Sight 001a.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
190407 001 Wheeler Laser Sight 001.jpg
190407 001 Wheeler Laser Sight 001.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 pm

earlier today I had a chance to use our Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter for the first time ....

Weather : sunny sky, target in full sun,

distance : 25 yards

firearms on which it was used :
Henry 22LR
Ruger 10-22 22LR
Henry BBS 357 Mag
Henry BBS 44 Mag
Ruger Redhawk 44Mag

results :
all 4 rifles are equipped with magnification, crosshair scopes .... could NOT see the green laser dot at 25 yards with unaided vision .... green laser dot clearly seen through each of the 4 rifle scopes .... adjusted the crosshairs on all 4 rifles to where the dot was 1" high at 25 yards .... subsequent live firing of the 22's and 357 confirmed that with the crosshairs dead center, the bullets hit very close to 1" high .... the minor adjustments required bring the impact point to 1" high were easily and quickly made .... sighting the 44 Mag turned out to be an entirely different animal .... with the same bore sighting process, the live firing mystified me at first .... our targets were 6" paper plates with stick-on 1" dots .... the first few shots didn't hit the plate and I had no clue where they were actually hitting .. :? .. the first thing I checked was the scope to see if it was loose, nope, seemed fine .... I reinstalled the laser bore sight and the impact point wasn't the same .. :( .. corrected the crosshairs and fired another test shot .... nowhere on the 6" plate .. :o .. made the decision to determine if it was hitting high or low .... to do so I held the crosshairs on the bottom of the 6" plate, no bullet hole .... the held them roughly 4" below the bottom of the plate, finally, a bullet hole dead on the vertical line but a couple of inches down from the top of the place .... in short, left-right adjustment was perfect .... the up-down adjustment was around 9" high .... cranked the crosshairs down, now hits 1" high at 25 yards .... close to 100 rounds followed confirmed that she's sighted in where it should be

have spent considerable time giving thought to the why ? .... my belief is I didn't take the care to try and place the center of the bore sight in the center of the much larger 44 cal opening .... with a 22 there isn't much room for error but there is with a large bore .... in short, the sighter worked and I've learned a good lesson about using it with a big bore .... all in all, well pleased

with the Redhawk, I couldn't see the green dot when looking through the Aimpoint which has no magnification .... I believe I can make it work if I try it again with much dimmer lighting
0 x