Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Final punch for leather holster

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Final punch for leather holster

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:35 am

Before I got my .45 Colt revolver, I didn't ever think I would buy any hunting accessories. Always enjoy seeing all the cowboy gear photos that RR uses and posts for us. But driving in my VW Bug to an indoor range in KC, leather gun stuff/accessories are just not what is needed. ;)

But I did get one basic item to help on a rabbit hunt. I found a quality leather holster at my LGS, and was glad that my 6.5" revolver with trigger spur fit perfectly. Used the holster one time already at my friend's outdoor range, walking around shooting at a ground reactive target. Worked fine, except it moved easily from side-to-side on my belt. That unstrapped holster wouldn't help doing a fast draw either.

So the finishing touches were easy to do. Unfortunately, I lost my leather punch somewhere over the years. Stopped at a cobbler shop, showed the fellow the size hole and where to punch at the bottom of my holster. While he worked, I found the perfect length 40" leather strap (decent color match, too) on his rack of leather products. It fits great when tied around my upper leg, and the gun & holster hang solidly.

Simple project; now all ready to walk the snowy woods this winter.
Here are some photos --- just to show off my punched "cowboy leather." :lol:

Have a great day.
PT7
DSCN2791.JPG
DSCN2791.JPG (233.78 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
DSCN2792.JPG
DSCN2792.JPG (242.71 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
DSCN2793.JPG
DSCN2793.JPG (178.94 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
1 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Final punch for leather holster

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:51 am

Looks good PT now you just need a belt to hold some bullets
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 am

Your suggestion is cool, Al. But a leather belt with ammo bands would be too spendy for my limited use. And I already have two good belts for holster carry. However, you reminded of what I can do.

I have an ammo pouch from Simply Rugged Holsters, which carries bullets secured in a speed clip, and hangs on a leather belt. (See photos below). Mine carries .357 Magnum rounds. All I need to do is remove the .357 ammo and speed strip, and get a .45 Colt speed strip. Using the same belt pouch should work out fine. Thanks again for the "reminder." :)
BigAl52 wrote:Looks good PT now you just need a belt to hold some bullets
simplyrugged1.jpg
simplyrugged1.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
simplyrugged2.jpg
simplyrugged2.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:34 am

Looks like you got your start on the accessorizing list. First 3 items already!
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 732#p69949
PT7 wrote:Before I got my .45 Colt revolver, I didn't ever think I would buy any hunting accessories. Always enjoy seeing all the cowboy gear photos that RR uses and posts for us.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Have had great luck with that brand of holsters, PT. Glad you found one that fit.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Dang it! Now I have holster envy. :(
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey, Wiz,
Understand how that happens. So, do you have a holster for your Uberti .45 LC? If not yet, that's the perfect way to get rid of any "envy," and have some shopping fun at the same time! ;)
~~~
Never have considered working off your "accessorizing list," Mags. I really would like to hold up on that, and wait for you to get your list done, then let everyone know what the bottom line $$ costs turn out to be. That would be helpful. :lol: BTW, I did order one other accessory today not on your list -- a Bianchi .45 Colt speed strip. That will work great in my belt-carry leather ammo pouch for extra bullets!
~~~
Thanks, NCG. Yup, my two Blackhawk shoulder holsters, although made with heavy-duty nylon, have been great. Like I had said in the other holster thread about finding this holster for my Russian, I didn't even know Blackhawk made leather holsters. Just bumped into it at my LGS, and it wasn't even designed for this gun model! I'm certain it will easily last a very long time for carrying either of these revolvers. :)
PT7
The Wiz wrote:Dang it! Now I have holster envy. :(
Mags wrote:.
North Country Gal wrote:Have had great luck with that brand of holsters, PT. Glad you found one that fit.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:09 am

You should, gotta catch up with RR. As for me, I haven't even started on that list. ;) I put that together as bait for ditto and others, so they could tell me how much it cost them (evil me). Then I could budget (or not) accordingly :lol: . Although I have a 1903 Colt hammerless in .32acp, it's not a wheel gun so I don't think that counts as #1 on that list. I'll add the Bianchi .45 Colt speed strip to the list in the other topic. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 732#p69949
PT7 wrote: ~~~
Never have considered working off your "accessorizing list," Mags. I really would like to hold up on that, and wait for you to get your list done, then let everyone know what the bottom line $$ costs turn out to be. That would be helpful. :lol: BTW, I did order one other accessory today not on your list -- a Bianchi .45 Colt speed strip. That will work great in my belt-carry leather ammo pouch for extra bullets!
Mags wrote:.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:23 pm

no holster YET for the .45LC. Have not even shot the darn thing yet!!! Soon.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 pm

That unstrapped holster wouldn't help doing a fast draw either.
Thats a good lookin' holster and I can appreciate the leg strap but be careful with that fast draw stuff - enuff said!

Leather is not too hard to work with and if you keep it simple its easy to make and re-purpose holsters or other leather items.
When I was about 21 I made a cartridge belt for my then M-19 Smith I had. No longer have the M-19 but I still have the belt and now a M-66.
Unfortunately I was about a 32 waist when I made the belt and am a 34 now so I may have to add a couple inches to it since I plan to use it for rabbit hunting myself with the 66. I made it kind of small but heck I can still get it on using the last hole in the end of it!

As far as re-purposing I had a old S & W holster for a Mod 39 9mm and discovered it was a pretty close fit for my CZ 75.
Well, after a hot water soak and the CZ plastic bagged in the wet holster to dry it shaped very nicely to it.
I removed the belt strap bottom loop (never understood those) and resecured the strap with Chicago screws.
I have since had to re -shape it again after installing the new LPA high profile sights and added back the retention snap strap to fit the CZ.
A good application of Neatsfoot oil and a buffing to cut the gloss of the original finish and it came out very well.
Before and after pics. Home made belt on the bottom.
IMG_1023[1].JPG
IMG_1023[1].JPG (56.92 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
IMG_1027[1].JPG
IMG_1027[1].JPG (58.49 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Attachments
IMG_1216[1].JPG
IMG_1216[1].JPG (64.47 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x