Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brass Stacker harness sling

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
y2k-fxst
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Brass Stacker harness sling

Post by y2k-fxst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm

So, I finally broke down and ordered the Brass Stacker harness sling for my BBB, did not get the optional bandoleer for ammo since there is already enough forward barrel weight. Received it yesterday, for the price I'm kinda underwhelmed.

The harness does snuggly fit the stock for now, just wondering how much and how fast it will stretch. To me it seems like the leather is slightly on the thin side. Also the snaps that fasten it were not completely tight. I have done some leather work in the past so I had the tools to tighten them up some, didn't take much but wonder how long it would have taken for them to come apart if I hadn't tightened them.

The sling that came with it was also underwhelming. I would have been almost happier if they would have offered it as an option and only included the swivels. It is a plain leather strap with a few holes in it for mounting the swivels and some small amount of adjustment. When they dyed the strap they managed to get some dye on the bottom side, looked kind of like a hand print, that was very noticeable. This morning I used some Neats Foot Oil on the sling to the bottom side and it did blend the color in some but, it did soak clear through to the front side. Made the front a mottled look, so then I ended up doing the front also. Darkened the finish some, but also softened the sling to where it is more comfortable.

I would do the harness also with the Neats Foot Oil to help protect it since I do plan on using my rifle in all weather, But, I'm afraid it will soften the leather to the point it will stretch it even faster.

Anybody else have any comments on the Brass Stacker harness sling, or experience with it after use?
0 x
Just pickin brains, mines worn out! :D

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Brass Stacker harness sling

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:08 pm

it would really be great if you could post some pictures
0 x

y2k-fxst
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by y2k-fxst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Here are some pictures, not the best but, that's what you get with a flip phone. See my Neats Foot Oil has soaked in, now you can see the leather stain on the under side again!
IMGA1081.JPG
IMGA1081.JPG (482.76 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
IMGA1080.JPG
IMGA1080.JPG (559.75 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
IMGA1079.JPG
IMGA1079.JPG (648.77 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
IMGA1077.JPG
IMGA1077.JPG (584.57 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
IMGA1076.JPG
IMGA1076.JPG (490.92 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:05 pm

It does look a little less beefy than I thought it would be but it might be ok. First thing I do on all my gear, saddles, bridles, etc is get rid of any Chicago screws. I punch another hole and run a leather lace through to tie it off. Those screws are prone to loosen and come off.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

y2k-fxst
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by y2k-fxst » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm

RanchRoper wrote:It does look a little less beefy than I thought it would be but it might be ok. First thing I do on all my gear, saddles, bridles, etc is get rid of any Chicago screws. I punch another hole and run a leather lace through to tie it off. Those screws are prone to loosen and come off.
I usually get everything figured out where I want it, then hit the Chicago screws with red loctite.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm

y2k-fxst wrote:
RanchRoper wrote:It does look a little less beefy than I thought it would be but it might be ok. First thing I do on all my gear, saddles, bridles, etc is get rid of any Chicago screws. I punch another hole and run a leather lace through to tie it off. Those screws are prone to loosen and come off.
I usually get everything figured out where I want it, then hit the Chicago screws with red loctite.
Yup, that works too.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:58 pm

It does look good though, really suites that rifle well. I like RR's suggestion about the leather lace also, and then maybe make it tight as you want.
0 x