Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ray-Vin Super Smoker for Gun Sights.

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Ray-Vin Super Smoker for Gun Sights.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:50 pm

I put a pic up in a recent post of my Aging GunSmoker that I used for years to smoke my sights on the PPC gun. Then I got an actual miner's lamp and used that for the bulk of my competition, but tossed the GunSmoker in my Armorer's Kit as a backup, just in case. When I got out of competition, I sold the miner's lamp to a new shooter, along with a LOT of gear I knew I wouldn't need, so I wouldn't be tempted to get back in the "game."

When I found I needed to Smoke the sights again, I dug out the old GunSmoker and ... it was really a Pain in the ... ah... butt.

I did some research and talked to some folks and found the Ray-Vin Supersmoker. High Power Shooters are using this these days.
I ordered one this evening... I don't NEED one for matches, but I do like to smoke the front sights on several of the guns.

http://www.ray-vin.com/tools/smoker.htm

You DON'T want to smoke the plastic sights or any sights with PLASTIC inserts. (duh) Those you can paint with flat black model paint, or spray with Birchwood Casey Sight Black.

:D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Ray-Vin Super Smoker for Gun Sights.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I'll let you guys know when the SuperSmoker comes in, but I have NO doubt that it will be as advertised. :)
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:59 pm

interesting .... not ever having participated in or really never being around competitive shooting, I've never heard of smoking gun sights .. :?:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 am

JEBar,

Glare on the front sight, or changing light conditions on the front sight... can:

Make a crisp sight picture hard to obtain, or obtain quickly.
Change the point of impact dramatically, especially in high power rifle, where you shoot at 500 yds, 600yds, and beyond.

Smoking the front sight produces a FLAT deep black, non reflective surface, without adding bulk (caking up) to the sights. Hit the sights with a nylon toothbrush and resmoke as needed. The spray on sight black IS flat, but is a dark gray rather than flat dead black, and sometimes sputters and cakes.

Back when I was on active duty, the rifle range had "smudge pots" placed up and down the ready line. They looked like metal bowling balls with smokey wicks burning out of the tops. You inverted the rifle and held the front sight post over the flame... perfect. ;)
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:35 am

per Spock, fascinating .... info appreciated
0 x