Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Chronograph

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Chronograph

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 pm

I'd appreciate recommendations for a replacement shooting chronograph .... I've used the same "Chrony" since the '80's that served me well until earlier today .... don't ask why I suddenly need a new one .. :oops:
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Chronograph

Post by Squatch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:35 pm

I've got this one and I'm very pleased with it. Just mount it on a cheap camera tripod.
https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Elec ... B0028MTBJ4

A few weeks ago My bud on here Hack was shooting his 45/70 with a scope and clipped the left 2 wires. It was impressive. Those wire are hard stuff. Bent them into instant candy canes. I could NOT straighten them at all by hand with my Leatherman tool. New replacement diffuser kit was only $10 and back in business. Thing still works great! Lotta bang for the buck.

JEbar you are supposed to hit the wires not the box when you miss! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Squatch wrote:JEbar you are supposed to hit the wires not the box when you miss! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have looked at the one in your link , good to hear favorable comments on it .... I have also looked at this one https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ballist ... hronograph .... I like the idea of having a tripod .... I actually did hit a wire and what it did to the area where the wire was inserted apparently was enough to kill the unit .... I think the wires ought to be brightly colored so they will show up in a scope ... ;)
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 pm

The problem is the scope is focused so far down range they just don't show up in the scope.

Looks like a decent unit as well.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 pm

yep, my hope was a bright color might help
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:55 am

I have a Chrony F1, and a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Premium chrono - the one shown in your link. The Caldwell 'Premium' unit comes with a special lighting kit that allows it to be used indoors - something that the F1 can't usually do, because it it affected by mains lighting.

It works the same way as the F1, and it seems to be equally accurate. The only downside is that it all fits into its own bag, which is supplied, but it tends to be a bit bulky. It's not a major problem, because it's very light and can be slung across your shoulder.

The LED lighting unit runs off cells/batteries, so there's no need to find a power socket in order to use it indoors. The Caldwell comes with a power adapter, so it can be used directly from a power socket, or it can be used via a 9 volt cell/battery.

I always site the chrono fairly close to the muzzle - 10 to 15 feet for fullbore, less for smallbore - as it's just the muzzle velocity that I'm really interested in, so I've never had any mishaps with wayward rounds ...... yet! :lol:
P1010727.JPG
P1010727.JPG (2.97 MiB) Viewed 4765 times
P1010728.JPG
P1010728.JPG (3.16 MiB) Viewed 4765 times
P1010731.JPG
P1010731.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 4765 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:56 am

I've never needed to use one indoors .... how often do you use yours inside
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 pm

JEBar wrote:I've never needed to use one indoors .... how often do you use yours inside
At home, hardly ever, but it does see regular use at the club. Another alternative is to use something like the Skan chrono, which relies on shooting through an aperture ...... definitely not something you'd want to do downrange.

http://www.skanar.co.uk/skchrp1.htm
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:47 pm

that is an interesting chrony, first time I've seen one like it .... I can see it used with a BB gun
0 x

ssonb
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by ssonb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm

I have discovered after a range remodel on my crony that you need to take a piece of paper and tape it on the last diffuser on the outside and stick a small target or mark with a marker a spot to aim on the device itself.
0 x