Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trigger Work

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Trigger Work

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:54 pm

in various other threads I've mentioned various modifications/upgrades we've had performed on our Henry rifles; as well as, other firearms .... earlier this year he honed the forcing cones in 3 shotgun barrels .... he also installed recoil pads and mercury recoil suppressors in several rifles and shotguns .... most of our work is done by a gunsmith in Texas whose work I have come to respect .... earlier today in a phone conversation with him we discussed trigger adjustments for our Henry rifles .... right now our plan is to take him our 45-70 and 44 Mag when we go to Texas after Christmas .... we may also take our Henry 357 but that's still under discussion .... I'm already looking forward to using them
2 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Trigger Work

Post by Henry88 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:58 am

I look at it this way, if triggers weren't important, Roy Rogers wouldn't have named his horse after them. :D
3 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:16 am

Henry88 wrote:I look at it this way, if triggers weren't important, Roy Rogers wouldn't have named his horse after them. :D
:lol: .... outstanding .... I've always been one who is prone to tinker with vehicles and firearms in an effort to personalize them so they work best for me .... in recent times that tendency with vehicles seems to have lessened (the only mods I've made with my current pickup have been to add a Pace-Edwards bed cover and have Linex spray in a bed liner) .... on the other hand, with firearms my desire to tweak them remains strong
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 am

well, what started as an idea has been brought to completion .... last year his efforts were directed at lessening the felt recoil of our 45-70 .... as one who is on blood thinning meds, lessening its considerable thump delivered when firing full power ammo .... once that was completed, Mag-na-port worked their magic on its barrel .... day before yesterday we picked up our Henry 44 Mag and 45-70 from the same gunsmith who, this year, worked on their triggers .... to say that I'm looking forward to getting them back home and out on our family range would be a major understatement .... while I haven't live fired them, I have dry fired them and am absolutely delighted with their upgraded trigger pull .... in speaking with him, he confirmed that while the trigger itself is basically the same, every other component inside the 45-70 is much more robust than that of the 44 Mag .... we've already fired (literally) thousands of rounds from our 44 Mag and (haven't kept a count) must be approaching if not have already exceeded a thousand through the 45-70 .... the vast majority of those in the 45-70 have been Cowboy action level ammo .... so far as I know right now but that is always subject to change at any second :? no more mods/upgrades are planned for either of those rifles .... rather, I'm looking forward to developing a variety loads for both
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Re recoil, have you tried a Past shoulder pad?
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Travlin wrote:Re recoil, have you tried a Past shoulder pad?
I haven't .... historically, because our rifles are used for hunting, all of the mods/upgrades we do are to the rifles themselves .... our standard course of action for rifles is to install the most effective possible recoil pad (for the last year or so that has been one made by Kick-eez), insert an appropriate size Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the stock and have the barrel Mag-na-ported .... for shotguns we do the same thing plus hone the forcing cone .... for revolvers, Mag-na-porting and the most effective recoil absorbing grips .... that combo has served us well
1 x