Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Finder

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Range Finder

Post by bdbrown66 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Well, I finally decided to take my own advice and order a Kilo. Given the areas that I hunt and shoot, I have no need for something like the Kilo 2000, hence no point in paying for its capabilities. But when I found that the Kilo 850 was available for under $150, that was too good to pass up. The reviews were good, and it should do everything I need. Just ordered it today, will report back when I've had the chance to test it a bit.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:51 pm

looking forward to your reports .... hope it will serve you well
0 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:25 am

The Kilo 850 arrived today. Only a few minutes to play with it, but it ranged a building over 500 yards away and a tree over 400. That's all I really had time for. However, here's something for you...I see that there is a bracket to mount the Kilo to a tripod. Problem is, it's fairly expensive ($75+). Did some searching and found someone who published plans for a 3D printed bracket. My son has a 3D printer, so he's going to make one for me. If it works out well, I'll let you know. Would probably be more like $25 to make one.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:55 am

please post pictures and comments about your bracket
0 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 am

Will do. Kind of anxious to give it a try.
0 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Limited testing up to this point, but so far the Kilo 850 is meeting my expectations. Yesterday on the way home from work I stopped along the road as it goes past an open field. I was able to range a tree on the other side of the field at 500+ yards with no problem. It's also been no problem ranging buildings, telephone poles, etc. Also ranged a cow at 200+ with no problem. I've got a test planned that will tell me all I want to know. There is a field that I drive past every evening, and just about every evening there is a herd of deer grazing out there about 3-400+ yards away. If I can range them, I'm good to go. Don't know if I'll get to do it tonight, as I'm going to the gym after work. If not, it will happen within the next week.

Hopefully, will also get to try making the bracket over the weekend. Son has to get the printer calibrated first, tho.
1 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Latest update on the Kilo 850. It continues to live up to my expectations. I have ranged trees at 500+ yards, and individual deer at 350+. Haven't had the opportunity to go beyond that, but I had no problem getting the reading, so I believe it will range deer out to 500 or so, in the right conditions.

After some experimentation, we now have a working 3D-printed bracket for the Kilo 850. We started with a design that someone had created for the Kilo 2000, but it turns out that the dimensions for the 850 are somewhat different, so we had to make some adjustments. I'm now going to take some measurements of my friend's 2000, and see if we can incorporate our design changes into a good bracket for it. Once we know that we have a solid design, I will make them available for sale, in the $25 range. Here are some pics of our current prototype.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:54 pm

nicely done .... looking forward to your continued reports
0 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 am

Another little test on the Kilo 850. Drove past a field last evening that always has deer in it right before dark. Was able to range a deer at 483 yards. That's plenty for me, and I can't imagine a hunter east of the Mississippi needing more range than that.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 am

bdbrown66 wrote:Another little test on the Kilo 850. Drove past a field last evening that always has deer in it right before dark. Was able to range a deer at 483 yards. That's plenty for me, and I can't imagine a hunter east of the Mississippi needing more range than that.
we've hunted fields "down east" in NC that were literally over a square mile ... the first time I was up in a Texas type tower stand looking over one of those fields, I realized my "reach out and touch something" 308 wasn't near enough rifle .. :? .. that being said, 483 yards is a much longer range than I will ever take a shot at a deer .. :D
1 x