Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Recoil

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Recoil

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm

In basic training the drill instructor took an M14 and placed the buttstock against his testicles and shot it showing us it didn't kick all that much. Later when I shot the M14 for the first time I thought it kicked a lot more than what I was expecting but didn't say a word after seeing the drill instructor put the family jewels on the line. From that moment on I viewed recoil as something you just accept. If you think about recoil too much you will flinch.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Sir Henry wrote: ... If you think about recoil too much you will flinch.
Yup, that's very much the challenge of shooting guns with a lot of recoil. As a gal, I'm proof that it isn't about strength; it's all mental discipline and, of course, practice.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:21 pm

I shot high-powered military rifle left-handed for decades and didn't really think too much of it. But then when I switched to right-handed it took me a long time to find that sweet spot for the butt and to tighten just that part without going too rigid on my entire arm and shoulder.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Sir Henry wrote:If you think about recoil too much you will flinch.
I couldn't agree more .... as noted in another thread, at our son's request, I've been working with our 8 year old grandson for well over a year .... I've never let him fire anything that kicks .... consequently, he has no fear of recoil .... he doesn't flinch, has a smooth trigger pull, and really concentrates on his sight picture .... the young'un can shoot and shoot really well .... he enjoys firing 22's but he's fallen in love with his Henry 357 .... inside of 50 yards, I'd put him up against most anyone .... when things warm up in the spring I plan to move him back and by the fall to have him working at 100 yards
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:33 pm

a few weeks ago we took our Henry 45-70 and Remington 11-87 12 ga (along with 2 other log guns) to a gunsmith who we've come to trust .... as one who has been on blood thinning medication for over a year and who may well be on it from now on, felt recoil has become a significant consideration .... his upgrades to all of them was to replace the OEM recoil pads with KICK-EEZ Dual-Action recoil absorbing pads https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads ... ecoil-pad/ and Mercury Recoil Suppressors http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/ .... improperly installing a Mercury Recoil Suppressor can change a rifle's/shotgun's balance, properly installing them can enhance their balance .... in addition, honing a shotgun's forcing cone is said to help reduce recoil and improve pattern density .... to test the mods we went to a range .... after firing 10 405 gr HSM full power Dangerous Game Loads and 5 of our full power 300 gr jacketed hunting loads our of our 45-70 and 10 rounds of 3" 00-buckshot our of our Remington 11-87, I'm happy to report no bruising .... a bit of stiffness to be sure but no sign whatsoever of bruising .... for me that is a major improvement .... in addition, the 00-buck shot pattern at 50 yards with a Modified Choke Tube was truly impressive .... based on his recommendation, we plan to have both the 45-70 and 11-87 Mag-Na-Ported http://magnaport.com/rifle.html /// http://magnaport.com/sgun.html .... really looking forward to seeing how the porting adds to the reduction in felt recoil .... will try to post a picture of the KICK-EEZ upgrades
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:45 pm

My experience with porting has all been on handguns, but it's been very positive in terms of dealing with recoil. On some brutal kickers, porting made the difference between a gun I could practically shoot and one I could not. Porting does introduce issues of its own, though, so it's a package deal.

One place I do not recommend shooting ported guns is at a range with other shooters, nearby. Shooting a ported gun, then, will make you a lot of enemies. The blast and concussion can be punishing for those on either side, even from mild cartridges like the 223. When someone at our range shows up with a ported black gun, I move as far away as possible.

Shooting ported guns from a prone position or even a sitting position can kick p a lot of dust and debris that can interfere with your shooting. Ask me how I know. :)

Shooting ported handguns at a bench can be especially tricky. Actually blew an expensive spotting scope right off the bench, once, when sighting in a compensated 460 S&W revolver. Shooting a ported gun adds a whole new meaning to muzzle awareness.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:54 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:If you think about recoil too much you will flinch.
I couldn't agree more .... as noted in another thread, at our son's request, I've been working with our 8 year old grandson for well over a year .... I've never let him fire anything that kicks .... consequently, he has no fear of recoil .... he doesn't flinch, has a smooth trigger pull, and really concentrates on his sight picture .... the young'un can shoot and shoot really well .... he enjoys firing 22's but he's fallen in love with his Henry 357 .... inside of 50 yards, I'd put him up against most anyone .... when things warm up in the spring I plan to move him back and by the fall to have him working at 100 yards
I don't bet JEBar, but if I did I think my money might be on NCG for now; at least until he turns 9 :D

I'll tell ya, I shot my .308 last weekend and it hurt. Never remembered that in over 40 years of owning that gun.

I think that if I had a pad, I might want to shorten the stock that same amount to keep the dimensions the same.............
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 pm

North Country Gal wrote:My experience with porting has all been on handguns, but it's been very positive in terms of dealing with recoil.

One place I do not recommend shooting ported guns is at a range with other shooters, nearby.

Shooting ported guns from a prone position or even a sitting position can kick p a lot of dust and debris that can interfere with your shooting. Ask me how I know. :)
very true for systems like the old Browning BOSS .... effective yes .... fun to shoot, nope .... Mag-Na-Porting doesn't redirect muzzle blast toward the shooter .... the sound/blast generated is the same as from an unported barrel that is a couple of inches shorter .... Mag-Na-Port's newest development is called their Mag-na-brake .... per info they provide in this link http://magnaport.com/rifle.html, "A forward angle directs sound pressure away from the shooter. " .... I don't pretend to understand how that is possible but having used their service for decades, I have no doubt they can pull it off .... right out of the box our 300 WBY mag, 30-06, and 44 mag revolver all had a major bark ... we can't tell one bit of difference in muzzle blast before and after having them Mag-Na-Ported
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the update. I will stow that one away for future purchases that could use a little recoil taming. :)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 pm

one of our sons is strongly considering having their Mag-Na-Brake installed on one of his rifles ... if he does, I'm certainly looking forward to giving it a try
0 x