Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Recoil

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Recoil

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:52 am

I just ran a forum search for "recoil" and found 38 pages/372 post .... I don't like heavy recoil .... in spite the hunting firearms I have chosen to use over the years, recoil has long been an issue for me .... now that I have to be on blood thinning medication, recoil has become even a stronger concern .... consequently, I have a strong interest of what can be done to help reduce felt recoil .... what I have come to believe, not listed in any order of importance :

1. firearm caliber selection : as an example, many people deer hunt with 223/243's on the one end and 300 Mags/45-70's on the other .... the recoil produced varies widely

2. firearm action : all else being equal, manual actions will produce more felt recoil than semiautomatic actions

3. firearm weight : all else being equal, the heavier the firearm the less the felt recoil

4. design of grip/stock : the size of the grip and the grip material play a part .... single action, western style grips on larger calibers seem to be harder to control ....

5. OEM recoil suppression : all else being equal, rifles/shotguns with factory recoil pads produce less felt recoil than those with hard plastic/metal butt plates .... the addition of modern suppressors can play a major part

6. shooting style : all else being equal, standing free hand shooting seems to produce less felt recoil than locked in on sand bags on a shooting bench or firing from a prone position

7. ammunition used : light loading/using Cowboy Action style loads will produce less recoil that full power hunting level loads .... to a lesser degree, the lighter the projectile the less the recoil

all of the above can be dealt with in making a decision as to what firearm to purchase and what ammo to use

for those who have a firearm they like and are determined to use, I've found the following mods can be effective :

1. aftermarket barrel mounted recoil suppression .... in this area, I favor suppression that doesn't redirect some of the muzzle blast back into the face of the shooter ... the old Browning BOSS system was effective but its redirection of muzzle blast put it on my, I won't use list .... Mag-Na-Port's classic system ===> http://magnaport.com/ <=== is one I have found to be effective on hard kicking rifles and revolvers .... my hope is to have them work on our 45-70 this spring

2. install/upgrade recoil pad .... for those who do not want to permanently install a pad, slip on ones are available .... historically I've gone with Pachmayr's F990 Triple Magnum Field pad ===> http://www.pachmayr.com/home/F990.php <=== last year, based on advice from a gunsmith we tried KICK-EEZ Dual-Action recoil absorbing pads ===> https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads ... ecoil-pad/ <=== for me the jury is still out as to which is the best

3. in stock recoil suppression .... there is no doubt in my mind that properly installing a Mercury Recoil Suppressor ===> http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/ <=== in a rifle or shotgun does reduce felt recoil .... we have had it installed in 6 and plan to add 3 more in February

suggestions/recommendations in the area of reducing felt recoil would be appreciated
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Recoil

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Good points and excellent discussion.

One you can add to that list is shooter's experience. Recoil with guns that I wouldn't even rate as an issue can scare the daylights out of new shooters. Those of us who do shoot heavy kickers on a regular basis and know how to manage recoil don't regard recoil in the same light as those who only seldom shoot hard kicking guns.

Have also noticed that when discussing recoil with new shooters, they are as intimidated as much by the noise and concussion as they are the actual felt recoil in the hand or shoulder. For them, it's all one and the same though - scary and unpleasant.

For myself, there is also a distinct difference between my tolerance for recoil, rifle versus handgun. I shoot big bore magnum handguns and some truly insane calibers in specialty handguns and do fine. In fact, when it comes to handguns, I'm something of a recoil junkie. Rifles, though, are different story. I bruise very easily. Even a 30-30 lever gun can leave me black and blue after a few shots where I got sloppy with my hold on the gun. I have a low tolerance for recoil in rifles and shotguns, but actually enjoy it to some extent in handguns.
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:35 pm

excellent points .... experience in learning how to properly hold both long and short guns can make a major difference
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:13 pm

JEBar wrote:excellent points .... experience in learning how to properly hold both long and short guns can make a major difference
Yup. When I first got a Marlin 30-30, I bruised my shoulder shooting it. I didn't know enough to snug the butt up to my shoulder. Nowadays I never get a sore shoulder from shooting rifles.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:45 pm

The recoil on my 45 Colt Big Boy is pretty mild, however the leather stock cover reduced it even more. Maybe not so much from the padding side of it, but the fact that it sort of locks tight to the shoulder instead of the brass moving around a little. Maybe I imagine it, but it feels solid and less recoil as a result.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 pm

I always used a latex slip over pad called shooters friend on my 45-100. It definitley did the trick. Reduced the recoil to less than half and no more black and blue shoulder. When your in the prone position with those big guns they would smack you pretty hard. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:57 am

How about a frock coat with a leather shoulder pad like Everett Hitch (Viggo Mortensen) in Appaloosa? 8-)
Attachments
viggo-mortensen-hateful-eight-quentin-tarantino.jpg
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am

I've owned and worn shooting shirts and vest with a pad .... never did seem to me that they did any good
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:24 pm

JEBar wrote:I've owned and worn shooting shirts and vest with a pad .... never did seem to me that they did any good
Yes, but did you look good? That's important, too. :)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:29 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Yes, but did you look good? That's important, too. :)
:lol: .... it would be a stretch to say looked good with or without the shooting shirt/vest
0 x