Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Recoil

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Recoil

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:41 pm

North Country Gal wrote:My experience with porting has all been on handguns, but it's been very positive in terms of dealing with recoil. On some brutal kickers, porting made the difference between a gun I could practically shoot and one I could not. Porting does introduce issues of its own, though, so it's a package deal.

One place I do not recommend shooting ported guns is at a range with other shooters, nearby. Shooting a ported gun, then, will make you a lot of enemies. The blast and concussion can be punishing for those on either side, even from mild cartridges like the 223. When someone at our range shows up with a ported black gun, I move as far away as possible.

Shooting ported guns from a prone position or even a sitting position can kick p a lot of dust and debris that can interfere with your shooting. Ask me how I know. :)

Shooting ported handguns at a bench can be especially tricky. Actually blew an expensive spotting scope right off the bench, once, when sighting in a compensated 460 S&W revolver. Shooting a ported gun adds a whole new meaning to muzzle awareness.
Flash suppressors can also do the same thing. The M-16 has had three that I know of. The first was the three-prong but it ended up hooking things in the jungle. Then the second one was the birdcage but it ended up kicking up dust directly under it when shooting prone. Then the third was like the birdcage except the bottom port was solid.

But you have never felt muzzle blast unless you have shot artillery. Twenty feet to the side and back and it will knock you to the ground.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:42 pm

North Country Gal wrote:One place I do not recommend shooting ported guns is at a range with other shooters, nearby. Shooting a ported gun, then, will make you a lot of enemies. The blast and concussion can be punishing for those on either side, even from mild cartridges like the 223. When someone at our range shows up with a ported black gun, I move as far away as possible.
Yeppers, Quite often at the local range I have to deal with someone with an AR in the next lane with a compensator on the muzzle. Not so bad for the shooter but no fun in the next lane. It hasn't helped my appreciation of those guns. 223 is pretty obnoxious if you aren't the one pulling the trigger.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm not willing to take the stock apart to show the Mercury Recoil Suppressor but I can show the new KICK-EEZ Dual-Action recoil absorbing pad https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads ... ecoil-pad/ .... as noted, after firing 10 high power dangerous game loads, I am impressed
Attachments
170127 001 45-70 pad 003.jpg
2 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:17 pm

This Recoil thread reminds me of a video I saw recently.

Did y'all see this one yet?

(Warning, It's painful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3sop7YZT9k
Last edited by Cowboy Gun Fan on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NRA Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm

sometimes we do get what we deserve .. :?
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:53 pm

I hate vids like that. Every time one goes up on U tube the antigunners get free ammo against us.

JEbar that Kickease looks nice. Sorbothane is good stuff.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 am

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:This Recoil thread reminds me of a video I saw recently.

Did y'all see this one yet?

(Warning, It's painful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3sop7YZT9k
Idiot!! He should never get his hands on a gun again. Things like this is why I never hunt with anyone that I haven't gotten to know well and spent time on the range with. I want to know if there's anything lacking in their good judgment before I count on them to hunt safely near me.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:00 pm

yesterday I had a chance to send a few 3" 00-buchshot rounds down range out of our 11-87 .... this was the first time I've had a chance to fire more than a round or two since having the forcing cone honed, a top quality Kick-eez recoil pad, and mercury recoil suppressor installed .... the reduction in felt recoil is impressive and most certainly welcome .... my motivation in undertaking these upgrades comes from being on blood thinning medication .... prior to these changes there is no way I could have fired those shell and not come away with a bruised shoulder .... I can't seem to make my camera take the quality of pictures of the forcing cone that I'd like to be able to show .... the first picture shows the barrel as it came from the factory with ridge where the shot is forced together as it comes out of the shell and moved into the barrel .... the second shows the same area where the gunsmith honed the ridge so there is now a smooth transition from the chamber to the barrel .... as a side note, there is a noticeable improvement in the buckshot pattern .... I hope to get some larger cardboard and pattern it but all we had to shoot at was some milk jugs and large Coke bottles .... there are 00-buchshot in a 3" shell and using a modified choke, she consistently put put about half of them in a gallon milk jug at 50 yards .... as noted above, on May 2nd I'm scheduled to take the barrel to Mag-na-port and I'm really looking forward to seeing just how more they can reduce the felt recoil
Attachments
170121 001 11-87 forcing cone 001.jpg
170121 001 11-87 forcing cone 001.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
170121 001 11-87 forcing cone 002a.jpg
170121 001 11-87 forcing cone 002a.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:32 am

I just purchased a Past Magnum wearable recoil pad. It is not perfect. But at the bench it helps a lot with the 45/70's brass butt plate. Once ammo gets over 1,500fps it can get painfull without some recoil protection.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Squatch wrote:I just purchased a Past Magnum wearable recoil pad. It is not perfect. But at the bench it helps a lot with the 45/70's brass butt plate. Once ammo gets over 1,500fps it can get painfull without some recoil protection.
Amen to that one on the 45-70. Now that I'm shooting the 45-70, again, though only now and then with the Contender, I'm staying below that 1500 fps. Have to pretty much, anyway, because the Contender is only rated for Trapdoor level loads.
0 x