Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hearing Protection While Hunting

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Hearing Protection While Hunting

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 pm

decades or so ago when I was much younger and even more foolish, hearing protection while shooting wasn't in vogue .... Matt Dillon didn't wear it, nor did the other big screen cowboy heroes of that era .... as a result my hearing in both ears suffered significant permanent damage .... earlier today (as mentioned in another thread) I ordered some electronic headphones and while doing so, I got to wondering .... Do you wear hearing protection while hunting with a firearm ? .... I so, what type ? .... Do you wear hearing protection at a range or during recreational shooting ? .... If so, what type ?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Hearing Protection While Hunting

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:42 pm

JEBar wrote: Do you wear hearing protection at a range or during recreational shooting ? .... If so, what type ?
Hearing and eye protection are both mandatory at the indoor range where I shoot. I've never been able to keep the foam in-the-ear types in my ears, so I use a bulky, over-the-ears type, the 3M Optime 105. It does the job, didn't cost much, and I wouldn't even consider entering the shooting area without it firmly planted on my head. I also don't have any difficulty with it interfering with either of my rifles or my eye protection, as I've read others say about this general type.

0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:51 pm

About two weeks ago, I was on a "main" trail here at Lake Monroe WMA and shot a squirrel. It wasn't more than 30 yds away but you had to go around some serious brush. This is basically a jungle with toppled trees, vines, underbrush, palmetto and yes snakes.

Finding something like a squirrel can be a challenge, and then you hear another squirrel, get further off the trail.

I was able to get my two squirrels but had to make a beeline (GPS) back to the trail. Frustrated at the difficulty of the terrane, I just busted through whatever, making a racket.

When I popped out onto the trail, there was a guy standing right there with a Marlin 30-30, and I just said, "You cannot be afraid of snakes and hunt this place, but I got my two squirrels". I was kind of embarresed about making so much noise. Usually I have this place to myself.

Anyway, he couldn't hear me cause he had these headphones that digitally enhance the wildlife sounds while filtering everything else, including I guess me.

He took the headphones off, I told him I got two squirrels but there weren't any deer around here. He said he knew, but just like to get exercise.

I don't think he was much, if any older than me. I guess I would have to try these new digital enhancers before I said anything.
Last edited by Henry88 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Henry88 wrote:About two weeks ago, I was on a "main" trail here at Lake Monroe WMA and shot a squirrel...a guy standing right there with a Marlin 30-30...he couldn't hear me cause he had there headphones...I would have to try these new digital enhancers before I said anything
Interesting (and disturbing) anecdote about the subject. Thanks.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:30 pm

I wear no hearing protection when hunting. I have been doing it since 1958. I wear these Remington hearing protectors at the range. I have very good hearing in my right ear but I have lost some in my left ear, about 30%. I am 71.Image
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Always wear either ear plugs or hearing muffs. When I'm outdoors at either of my friends' ranges, or when I've been out hunting deer, plugs are enough. At either the indoor or MDC ranges, I wear plugs and muffs. Sound is most amplified at these locations.

Muffs are Howard Leight "Leightning L2F model:
Leightning-L2F.jpg
Leightning-L2F.jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Plugs are either these Peltor ones with a triple flange (work very nice),or the good 'ole wally-world basic orange plugs:
peltor-next-tri-flange-ear-plugs.jpg
peltor-next-tri-flange-ear-plugs.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
I've accidently left off my ear protection while shooting outdoors, and my 12-gauge and .356 Big Boy were loud, but not intolerable --- so my ears didn't get totally clobbered. Over the last year my hearing has taken a sharp nosedive, and hearing loss is pretty significant now. Plugs and muffs are definitely the way-to-go for me....wouldn't shoot without them.
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 pm

I wear the electronic Howard Leight by Honeywell at the range but I expect they would be very comfortable for hunting too. Fit good over a Henry hat. They amplify low level sound and filter out the bad stuff. Big Boy sounds like a pop gun but I can carry on a conversation with someone. Technology. :?
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:45 am

I wear Howard Leight Impact Sport on indoor ranges, and plug-on-a-rope protection when shooting outdoors.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:32 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Henry88 wrote:About two weeks ago, I was on a "main" trail here at Lake Monroe WMA and shot a squirrel...a guy standing right there with a Marlin 30-30...he couldn't hear me cause he had there headphones...I would have to try these new digital enhancers before I said anything
Interesting (and disturbing) anecdote about the subject. Thanks.
And again CT, I think these were not so much hearing protectors as they were sound enhancers; something along the lines of the Bose QuiteComfort line that allowed certain frequencies/sounds to pass.

He had to take one off an ear to hear my voice, but I think he could probably hear me busting through the brush to get back on the trail.

I can't really believe a guy with a 30-30 would be walking through the woods with regular ear protection full well knowing he wasn't gonna get the opportunity to take a shot at a deer.............then again :roll:

BTW, the title of the thread is Hearing Protection While Hunting, and everybody is talking about the range. :D

Aside from the digital enhancers, which I guess serve a dual purpose, I can't see why anybody would wear protection while hunting, with the exception of bird hunting, where the shots are ringing off pretty constantly.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:44 am

Henry88 wrote:
CT_Shooter wrote:I can't really believe a guy with a 30-30 would be walking through the woods with regular ear protection full well knowing he wasn't gonna get the opportunity to take a shot at a deer.............then again :roll:
I've been thinking about that as well .... one of the major reasons I've ordered a set of electronic earmuffs is to be able to hear normal sounds while protecting from damaging muzzle blast .... it appears that there have been significant advances in this type of electronics .... its hard for me to imagine big game hunting while not being able to hear what's going on around me
0 x