Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trail Cam....repair?

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Trail Cam....repair?

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:54 pm

I know we have discussed trail cams before, but I was wondering if anybody has ever had one repaired, or if it's even possible?
We used to have two of the same. The brand is' SpyPoint" model "Force 10". when first purchased they worked pretty good, at least to my satisfaction. Then we returned one for reasons I can't remember. We have kept one and take it back and forth to the cottage when we go. It now seems to have a problem. Even with fresh batteries the screen is locked up and I can't input the settings. I can't even turn it off without removing the batteries...frustrating.
I'm willing to get a new one or two, just didn't want to write this one off before I know about possible repair. This brand was not the cheapest, yet not the most expensive either. Maybe time to just get new ones and if so, I'd like to ask for your opinions on brands and reliability. Gonna do a Amazon search but wanted to get some input from you guys/gals first.

Mark
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Trail Cam....repair?

Post by HenryFan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:05 pm

You might do an internet search for "trail cam repairers" or something similar but before that, I would contact the manufacturer and ask if there is any sort of a warranty still in existence on the unit.

I too would rather extend the life of the existing unit if possible but it may not be financially wise to put much into a older unit.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 pm

I have this one. Which is currently unavailable. It's been a very good trail camera.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N7 ... UTF8&psc=1
But two things I wish it had. WiFi download and a 5 minute or so builtin capacitor/battery or non-volatile memory. It gets tiresome walking out to the camera and pulling the memory card to download the pictures. I do have two cards so I can switch them out at the same time. Has good battery life but when it is time to change the batteries, all the setting are lost and have to be redone after the new batteries are in. I'm waiting to hear more on how the camera JEBAR got is working out for him.

For your existing camera, you might try baking it in the oven at 90'. Might a have small amount of condensation osmosis through the seals.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:25 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 pm
I have this one. Which is currently unavailable. It's been a very good trail camera.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N7 ... UTF8&psc=1
But two things I wish it had. WiFi download and a 5 minute or so builtin capacitor/battery or non-volatile memory. It gets tiresome walking out to the camera and pulling the memory card to download the pictures. I do have two cards so I can switch them out at the same time. Has good battery life but when it is time to change the batteries, all the setting are lost and have to be redone after the new batteries are in. I'm waiting to hear more on how the camera JEBAR got is working out for him.

For your existing camera, you might try baking it in the oven at 90'. Might a have small amount of condensation osmosis through the seals.
Thanks Mags. Good point. I might try the oven suggestion. We DID just endure about 5 inches of rain over the last couple days. I also watched a brief YouTube video and this guy's particular problem was simply a bad SD card. I will see if I have another card handy. The others may still be at the cottage.
I'm also seeing that these cameras have features that were not available, or I was simply unaware of when we bought ours, such as wifi.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:34 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 pm
I'm waiting to hear more on how the camera JEBAR got is working out for him.
the one we purchased has about every feature I've heard discussed and I'm convinced that once I get the hang of running it I really believe it will do just fine .... the problem is with me figuring out how to run it and that process has been frustratingly slow in coming I plan to move it tomorrow to another location where it can focus on a different section of woods
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:17 pm

I located another SD card and then put the fresh batteries back in. To my surprise it then came on. I WAS able to input my settings. We'll see tomorrow if all functions are working though. I have decided to buy another camera anyway, so any recommendations will still be appreciated. Glad I saw that YouTube video about the SD card. I would have never suspected that to be an issue. I guess there could have been some condensation as Mags suggested and maybe it dried out a bit while I had it inside. We'll see...
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:35 pm

Depending on the age of the camera and the mfgr...there may be a newer firmware version available. I often wonder if the mfgr inserts a day to render the camera problematic. I bought a new Browning camera last fall, if the AA batteries reach 80% or below, it will not record nighttime video. Replaced the batteries and it returned to normal function.
0 x
Jeff

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:52 pm

Stray Cat wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:35 pm
Depending on the age of the camera and the mfgr...there may be a newer firmware version available. I often wonder if the mfgr inserts a day to render the camera problematic. I bought a new Browning camera last fall, if the AA batteries reach 80% or below, it will not record nighttime video. Replaced the batteries and it returned to normal function.
Good point. My camera, now that I think about it is probably about 6 years old or so. I have also suspected performance issues when the batteries are down to 50% or 60%. (that's just a guess) on power level. I guess, given its age, I can't complain too much.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry