Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Electronic Headphones for Hunting

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Electronic Headphones for Hunting

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:57 am

I'm looking for recommendations for electronic headphones to use both at a range and while hunting .... the type of headphones that enhance normal sounds while blocking muzzle blast .... they must be designed so that they can be used in rainy weather
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Electronic Headphones for Hunting

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:03 pm

I have had three different sets of electronic headphones and have found the cheapest work just as good as the expensive ones.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Yep my cheap set. I think $35 work just fine. As for rain I can't say. They all have exposed microphones. I'd just wear a broad brimmed hat over them in the rain or a rain hood.

The electric ones are just regular hearing protectors with added microphones on the outside and speakers on the inside. if the battery's die they still muffle sound just fine. Mine even have a jack for plugging in your portable music player. :lol:
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:07 pm

I wish I could say that I never have had to hunt in bad weather but that ain't even close to being true .... over time I've found its more comfortable to have the headphones on over the cap .... don't believe I own a hat/cap that could be worn over a set of headphones .... now a hood of some type is a very different matter .... suggestion appreciated, will certainly look into it
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Haven't used any for hunting, but I got two pair of Howard Leight headphones for $75 from Amazon. So far they have worked fine. A friend of mine who does hunt suggested them to me. He said he always stick a couple of spare batteries in his pocket, just in case.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:42 pm

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Am ... protection

Great deal at $40. See a lot of guys using these. In fact, last time I went shooting in the desert with a few colleagues all four of us had the same headphones.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 pm

I have the same model as JCN.
I have used them working in a press room with six machines running. And adjust them to be able to have a conversation while tuning out the background racket.
They work very well at the range but I do tend to shut the microphone off when there are shooters close to me. It is an indoor range and can get pretty noisy.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Agreed. When I'm indoors I will double up with foam ear plugs as well. When outdoors with friends or an instructor I'll turn the mic on.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:03 pm

recommendation appreciated .... in the list of questions asked and answered :

"Question:
are these water resistant at all? A small drizzle ruined my cheap-coldwell's the first time i used them...

Answer:
I've used them in damp, humid and foggy conditions but I would not expose them to rain or persistent drizzle"

so far, I haven't found any that are designed to handle rain .... don't know that I will .... may well come back to these .... thanks again
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:49 pm

I have Peltor Tactical Pro hearing protection. Supposed to be Cadillac of hearing protectors. I like them. I've never hunted with them, but suppose I could. I've never worn them in the rain.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member