Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Re: new rig

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Yesterday, I went to a local lake to test a couple of rigs I was setting up for the grandson. One was a slip bobber and the other, a jig set up on a light action rod. I was not expecting to catch any thing because I have been fishing that lake for almost a year with nothing to show for it. Went to lake and the bridge where you could only fish from. Well, I got the slip bobber set up for him and went to the other rod and got that set up. Did not like the way the second pole felt so I had switched to a two bladed white body spinner and was casting to see if the boy could work it. He is only 6 yrs old. Wouldn't you know it, something hit the spinner hard on the second cast. I manage to get the fish close to the bridge I was fishing from and it was a bass. A big one. Hear I am with a youth Zebco spin cast combo with probably 6 or 8 lb test. I could not get the fish out of the water, the reel just could not do the last 10 feet up to the bridge rail. I remember I had the same problem where I had to do a hand over hand a couple of weeks ago on another bridge. So that's what i did, hoping the line and knot would hold. It did and it was on the deck. Then I heard some clapping and there was an older gentlemen with a cane and a leg brace standing on the bridge watching the action. For some reason I took a bow and let out a yell. Well, anyway between the two us we figured it was about 2 ,all most 3 lbs. I took a picture with my flip phone but it doesn't really do justice to the size of the fish. The gentlemen took a picture and said he send it to me. BTW, the spinner was pretty much trash. That's ok, I got another one and I know the kid has a stout rig. BTW, I really don't like fishing from bridges. I released the fish to fight another day and I did thank it for the fight. Which brought a smile from gentleman.
6 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Re: new rig

Post by Cofisher » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Nice. I like the way you prep and check for the grandkids. Grandpa is a legend.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm

nicely done indeed .... through your efforts to help him build good memories, you've built one of your own .. 8-)
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Great fishing story and a happy young man!...the old ones too!☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Ditto what JEBar said.
nicely done indeed .... through your efforts to help him build good memories, you've built one of your own .. 8-)
The Wiz wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 pm
Yesterday...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 am

Sometimes the best catches are a surprise.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.