Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bear Creek With a Young Friend

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Bear Creek With a Young Friend

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Had a young friend drop in Tuesday just as I was about to leave for my class at Woodcraft. He had been one of our young fly tiers on on another website, competing at thirteen against seasoned adults in monthly competitions online, and winning. ;) A good kid, an Eagle Scout, we took a liking to him early on. I can remember taking he and his mom on a kayak trip down the James River, killing it on the fly rods for smallies.... The year before he graduated.

Time has passed. He graduated from college, moved to L. A. and has a successful career in place as a photographer. He is home for a bit, doing a photo journalist thing in the area, and touching base. Tina told him we had extra kayaks, fly rods, plenty of flies tied up... "Wanna Fish while you are home? " she asked.

"I see Friday opening up." He said, grinning. ". :)

We loaded all the kayaks this morning, he chose a 7wt fly rod, matching reel, and a selection of flies when he arrived, and we were on the water thirty minutes later. They were calling for thunderstorms, but we had nice weather for the morning. I caught two decent bass, Tina caught a monster bigger than the puppy in the kayak with her, plus a big ol cat fish... And our guy had a great day as well.

Subway afterward, brought the subs home and went back to catching up. The alarm company tech showed up to fix the burned out alarm. It was good to see our young friend, but he had to head back to the folks to visit with them a bit more. We told him the kayaks were waiting, he promised to keep in touch.

Nice to see old friends. :D
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Bear Creek With a Young Friend

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Nice story and visit Jim! Hope you all can do it again in the future.☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:35 am

A picture...

The Bonefide Kayaks are VERY stable. Young Wray hasn't kayaked in a good while and has been busy with his new career, so it's been nearly a year since he had thrown a fly rod. After about an hour on the water in Tina's kayak, he was standing and making long beautiful casts across the cove... like he used to.

DSCN0305 (2).JPG
DSCN0305 (2).JPG (238.98 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

Here is a shot from the River Trip with Wray and his mom all those years ago, when I told him to cast to a lumbering four foot gar, he laid the fly ON the gars head and hooked it. :o

comp casting to the big gar.jpg
comp casting to the big gar.jpg (142.68 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

It was a beautiful day on the river that day... and we all enjoyed the float. I started the day with a nice smallmouth, it boded well for the trip. The camo pattern on the kayak is custom painted by Miss Tina, she usually painted all our kayaks when we first bought them, and her work was very popular on the forums... and in our kayak fishing group. She got rather creative over the years. ;)

comp my first smallie of the day.jpg
comp my first smallie of the day.jpg (172.29 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

Miss Tina chatting with Wray's mom while drifting down current.

on the james.jpg
on the james.jpg (158.84 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

The train passed right over our heads, and the engineer blew the whistle to say hello. Unexpected as it was, we nearly jumped from the kayaks. :)

lot's to see.jpg
lot's to see.jpg (229.67 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

Like I said in the original post, it was a great day on the river for us all.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:43 am

Fun times for sure!😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry