Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

fishing is the unexpected

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

fishing is the unexpected

Post by The Wiz » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 am

The other day I was at a local mill pond fishing from a pedestrian bridge. It was about 7:00 pm, the wind had laid low, the pond very still. Turtles were poking their heads up and the bugs were skimming. I was the only one fishing as the other guys had given up. It was so very peaceful. Then a young guy came up and was fishing for crappie under the bridge. He lost his hook and was re-rigging and ask if had a sinker. I did and gave him a few. We both then went about our business as talking wasn't necessary. We were enjoying the moment. It was all most magical the atmosphere. Although neither of us were catching, it was almost a zen moment. I was fishing with an 40 year old Shakespear rod and reel that I had rescued from the garage of my father-in-law when I was on vacation last month. Blasted the reel with Ballistol and then some Hopps and was like new. I decide to call it a day and made one
more cast and wouldn't you know, the jig was hit hard. The pole was bent at 90 degrees as I reel in the fish. Got him to the bridge but I could not get him out of the water and up the last eight feet up to the rail, as the reel just sort maxed out. I finally reached over the rail and pull it up hand over hand. The bass was the biggest I every landed. It weighed 2 lbs and 15 oz according to a scale the young man had. As I was taking pictures and unhooking the young man got a hit and he pulled in a small bass on his crappie rig. We both released and I pack it up as it was the most perfect ending possible. Picture is not very good as I still use an old flip phone (10 yrs.) and does not take as good as the new phones.
IMG0300A (2).jpg
IMG0300A (2).jpg (139.66 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
4 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: fishing is the unexpected

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 am

nice .... you helped give that young fellow a memory he will hold onto for a long time .... not to mention one for yourself .... :D
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: fishing is the unexpected

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Good for you... a good day doesn't have to involve the catch... the experience is what matters.
Someone said, it's all about the journey. :)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.