Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Back on the Water

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Back on the Water

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Took the girls and went back to the small lake at the park where I hooked that big bass last week for another shot. The fishing reminder on line called it an "Excellent" fishing day and said the best fishing time was between Noon and Three. So... we loaded up the yaks and headed out. I had my kayak out and threw the frog around the paddies most of the day, but did toss a mouse.

on the water comp.jpg
on the water comp.jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 5597 times

Miss Tina was out in her Yak, and had company... spoiled little thing... but they had a good time.

my girls.jpg
my girls.jpg (266.22 KiB) Viewed 5597 times

Worked our way around the small lake a couple times, and neither one of us set the world on fire. It was HOT and it was HUMID, and the fish didn't read the "Best Bite Time" section of the paper, or on line. THEY weren't biting. I caught a single tiny six in crappie. Miss Tina got one small strike.... in three hours. The dog took a couple quick dips to cool off. She had a life jacket but it was over heating her. Tina clipped her leash on instead, and she enjoyed the breeze.

This is the point where the bass slammed the frog last week. WE had the lake to ourselves both trips. That is the great thing about being retired... you can fish in the middle of the week. If we do fish again this week, it will be early morning or late afternoon, when we usually fish. The heck with the best bite table.

the point.jpg
the point.jpg (251.64 KiB) Viewed 5597 times

I had hoped to post big fish pics... but they were camera shy today.
maybe tomorrow evening?

:?
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Back on the Water

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 pm

arthritis had put an end to my days of casting for bass .... back when I could, I loved working a Heddon Moss Boss ===> https://www.amazon.com/Heddon-Lures-Bul ... way&sr=8-2 over lily pads .... thanks for the pictures and comments ... except for being in a boat without an outboard motor, :? it sure brought back some good memories
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:24 pm

The new dog looks like shes right at home on the boat.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:24 pm
The new dog looks like shes right at home on the boat.
It was her first time out... ;)

She was glad to be "with" Tina, but not so sure about the kayaking yet. I'm sure she will grow to love it. :lol:
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Was out today also. Fishing at a local lake from a fishing pier. Meet two fine gentlemen who gave me some tips and bait. Caught one small catfish, 4 crappie, and snag a bream in the belly(?). Their totals were two dozen cat for one guy and a cat and a million crappie for the other guy. I would have been skunked without their help. All where to small to keep except for one cat.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 am

Good deal. Most of the time, we fish the smaller, less pressured waters. Love it like that, quiet and peaceful. With kayak fishing, even if you don't catch fish, you have a good day kayaking. :D
2 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

My kayak partner should be back in town this weekend, would like to have a paddle. The toughest part is agreeing on where to go.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:17 pm

We were going to fish today, but they were calling for thunderstorms. We did get some decent rain but no thunderboomers. Worked on a platform for the dog that bungees on the bow.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 pm
Took the girls and went back to the small lake at the park where I hooked that big bass last week for another shot. The fishing reminder on line called it an "Excellent" fishing day and said the best fishing time was between Noon and Three. So... we loaded up the yaks and headed out. I had my kayak out and threw the frog around the paddies most of the day, but did toss a mouse.

on the water comp.jpg

Miss Tina was out in her Yak, and had company... spoiled little thing... but they had a good time.

my girls.jpg

Worked our way around the small lake a couple times, and neither one of us set the world on fire. It was HOT and it was HUMID, and the fish didn't read the "Best Bite Time" section of the paper, or on line. THEY weren't biting. I caught a single tiny six in crappie. Miss Tina got one small strike.... in three hours. The dog took a couple quick dips to cool off. She had a life jacket but it was over heating her. Tina clipped her leash on instead, and she enjoyed the breeze.

This is the point where the bass slammed the frog last week. WE had the lake to ourselves both trips. That is the great thing about being retired... you can fish in the middle of the week. If we do fish again this week, it will be early morning or late afternoon, when we usually fish. The heck with the best bite table.

the point.jpg

I had hoped to post big fish pics... but they were camera shy today.
maybe tomorrow evening?

:?
How are those yaks to paddle with the seats raised to that degree? They look pretty comfy. I used to do a lot of Yak fishing and by the end of the day my back was stiff and my butt hurt. They still have good stability like that?
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 pm

The Bonefide kayaks are Rock steady due to the hull design. Full disclosure, Luther, the owner of Yak Attack / Bonefide Kayaks is like family to Tina and I, but I wouldn't post a positive review if I didn't believe in the product.

Check out this video:

I don't know this guy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGM_brhWzs

I can tell you that with my declining health it was becoming very hard for me to sit in a yak for more than an hour. In the high seat position I can fish for three to four, no pain. :D PM me if you have direct questions, I'll send you my number, we can chat.
1 x